Is my hen a rooster 🥲

Alayna734

Songster
Aug 6, 2019
Zephyrhills florida
Rural king said all hens but I heard crowing the other day. I think the polish is the culprit. Babies are almost 3 months old

Attachments

• IMG_4630.jpeg
    IMG_4630.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4628.jpeg
    IMG_4628.jpeg
    631.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4627.jpeg
    IMG_4627.jpeg
    587.6 KB · Views: 36
Rural king said all hens but I heard crowing the other day. I think the polish is the culprit. Babies are almost 3 months old
Rooster.
Heres tips and things to keep in mind.

Hens actually can crow, some will. Though it’s often considered quite uncommon. It usually happens to assert dominance over their flock mates.

Look at your lovely barred girl over there, notice her hackle feathers (neck feathers) and how they are rounded so to speak. The coloration makes it slightly tricky to tell but putting your hand behind the feathers makes it more noticeable they are blunt. Now look at the one in question, see how they are spikey, sharp, and much longer? That is a wonderful roo indicator. I think i also see some sickle (rooster tail feathers) popping in there too. Sharp saddle feathers are a great indicator of a roo however i won’t use it as a example since often, they may come in later, and this young man doesn’t have a good amount showing through enough to use as a example. Finally he is quite red on his face and his legs are thick, not curvy and thinner like the other ladies. Best of luck with your charmer.

Back
Top Bottom