is My hen broody?

Top Rooster

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 16, 2015
North East Oklahoma
She’s about a year old and has plucked all of her chest feathers leaving only skin. I know this is a thing broody chickens do, is it a sign she’s broody? She isn’t clucking or puffing yet.

She’s about a year old and has plucked all of her chest feathers leaving only skin. I know this is a thing broody chickens do, is it a sign she’s broody? She isn’t clucking or puffing yet.
That is a good sign, but the best sign is when they start sitting in the nest all day.
You can even tell from in the house! Most chickens all want the same nesting box, so of course a broody will pick the most popular one. If you hear your whole flock freaking out, you might have a broody! :D

That is a good sign, but the best sign is when they start sitting in the nest all day.
You can even tell from in the house! Most chickens all want the same nesting box, so of course a broody will pick the most popular one. If you hear your whole flock freaking out, you might have a broody! :D
Okay good because I may need her as a backup broody because I already have a broody brown leghorn who has been sitting for about two months now and has only had fertilized eggs for less than a week and could possibly stop sitting midway through her incubation. I didn’t plan on giving her eggs that’s why she’s only had them for less than a week.

Back
Top Bottom