Is my hen egg-bound? Egg white oozed out when I picked her up.

kattfink

Songster
Jul 4, 2019
VIC, AUSTRALIA
Mavis wasn't quite herself this morning. She was in the laying box 4 hours ago, I assumed laying an egg, but I just found her still there. She was panting. I picked her up, put her on my lap, and all this clear, egg white-like slime oozed out of here, all over me. It was streaked with white. She felt quite hot. I gave her water with electrolyte with a syringe then she started drinking it on her own. She had 20ml. Walked around a bit then back to the laying box.
Was this an egg inside her that broke when I picked her up?
Please help!

Last edited:
She is now walking around slowly with the others. Drinking a lot of water but won't eat. Keeps pecking at rocks 😳 Expelled more liquid which the other hens rushed to and ate!!! Then they were pecking at the dregs on her back feathers 🤮

This could be really bad. I'll pray that your girl pulls through this.
If she were my hen I'd give her a calcium tablet (human calcium supplement) or even a Tum's tablet (for indigestion/gas) to strengthen her contractions (help her expel anything still inside of her. I'd also give her a 15 or 20 minute warm bath, preferably with Epsom salts if you have them. This will not only to cleanse those feathers, but also to help her if she's egg bound or still attempting to push the rest of the stuff out. You'll need to separate her from the flock for a day or two as chickens will continue to peck at anyone that's 'under the weather' and them pecking around her vent is bound to cause injury or even death. A wire dog crate placed in the coop will help her maintain her place in the pecking order while still protecting her from the flock.
Check her nesting box, you're looking for either a rubbery film (indicating a shell-less egg) or any broken shell fragments. It's not uncommon for a hen that's having a laying problem to have two eggs battling to find their way out, one of which is often without a shell. If you don't find the rubbery film (shell less egg) then you need to be concerned about a broken egg inside of her.
Again, if she were my girl, and if I couldn't take her to the vet, I'd lube up my gloved hand and insert a finger into her vent about a half inch to an inch, gently feeling for broken shell inside of her; the shell can slice her wide open inside. If you find broken shell in there, you're going to need to decide how to best break that down in such a way as to not cut her, and get it out of her.
In either case, I'd put her on antibiotics, sooner rather than later in an effort to stave off infection, egg yolk peritonitis, salpingitis. Reproductive infections are incredibly difficult to remedy, so I'd not wait to start antibiotics.

This could be really bad. I'll pray that your girl pulls through this.
If she were my hen I'd give her a calcium tablet (human calcium supplement) or even a Tum's tablet (for indigestion/gas) to strengthen her contractions (help her expel anything still inside of her. I'd also give her a 15 or 20 minute warm bath, preferably with Epsom salts if you have them. This will not only to cleanse those feathers, but also to help her if she's egg bound or still attempting to push the rest of the stuff out. You'll need to separate her from the flock for a day or two as chickens will continue to peck at anyone that's 'under the weather' and them pecking around her vent is bound to cause injury or even death. A wire dog crate placed in the coop will help her maintain her place in the pecking order while still protecting her from the flock.
Check her nesting box, you're looking for either a rubbery film (indicating a shell-less egg) or any broken shell fragments. It's not uncommon for a hen that's having a laying problem to have two eggs battling to find their way out, one of which is often without a shell. If you don't find the rubbery film (shell less egg) then you need to be concerned about a broken egg inside of her.
Again, if she were my girl, and if I couldn't take her to the vet, I'd lube up my gloved hand and insert a finger into her vent about a half inch to an inch, gently feeling for broken shell inside of her; the shell can slice her wide open inside. If you find broken shell in there, you're going to need to decide how to best break that down in such a way as to not cut her, and get it out of her.
In either case, I'd put her on antibiotics, sooner rather than later in an effort to stave off infection, egg yolk peritonitis, salpingitis. Reproductive infections are incredibly difficult to remedy, so I'd not wait to start antibiotics.
Good post.
:goodpost:

I'll add that my hen had this happen to her. She was a new layer, and the egg had broken inside of her. I was able to get all of the shell out of her, fortunately, and she recovered well.

If you don't find any shell, it may have been a shelless egg. Either way, the calcium and the epsom soak will help her get contractions going to expel whatever is still inside her.

Goid luck! Keep us posted.

I would give some calcium with vitamin D for about 3 to 5 days, in case she is having some problem with calcium and having shelless or a broken egg break inside. Caltrate or Tums given with a little egg yolk can help. Some will use antibiotics such as amoxicillin or Fish Mox to treat for infection. That may be found at some feed stores or online. Hopefully, this was a one time thing, but if it persists, she might have periods of weakness or feeling bad when she lays soft eggs. Make sure that she is getting food and especially water.

Back
Top Bottom