Is my hen sick? If so, with what?

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I might be *very* paranoid but is this hen sick? Is it just dirt? I don't think that there have been any obvious behavioral issues, but I've only had them for about 2 days so I have no idea what their normal is. Is this hen sick or is there just dirt on her beak?
IMG-1125.jpg

If she is sick I don't know what I'll do,like I said I've only had them for 2 days but I can't bear the thought of losing one!

Looks like maybe some feces/dirt/gunk has accumulated and stuck to the feather follicles. Does it come off?

Looks like maybe some feces/dirt/gunk has accumulated and stuck to the feather follicles. Does it come off?
I don't know, they won't let me touch them and it is WAY too small a setup for me to even get in the run. They aren't afraid of me in general, but I don't think it would go well to try to touch their faces.

Go in there, grab her, either with your hands or a fishing net. And see if it comes off with a moist cloth.

I went out to check on her again and it is gone from one side of her beak, but the other looks the same. I'm assuming this means it can come off?

Is it anything to worry about? These hens have cycled through several different people before coming to us. I can't see house they could have gotten sick in two days with us? Are there ways that that could happen?

It looks like poop dirt to me. Let her dunk her beak in a bucket of water for a drink. When it comes to checking out the birds, sometimes you just have to go in there and grab them as previously suggested. My advice is to start handling them daily to give each one an overall inspection. That will help with prevention of problems.
Your girl looks like she has a rounded/snubbed like beak.
My girls beaks look like a sharp pointer. Do you have a sand block or something that she can rub it on?
Just asking.

It looks like poop dirt to me. Let her dunk her beak in a bucket of water for a drink. When it comes to checking out the birds, sometimes you just have to go in there and grab them as previously suggested. My advice is to start handling them daily to give each one an overall inspection. That will help with prevention of problems.
Your girl looks like she has a rounded/snubbed like beak.
My girls beaks look like a sharp pointer. Do you have a sand block or something that she can rub it on?
Just asking.
They all came with clipped beaks. Hers and anothers are the most noticeable, and the other two's have mostly grown back. The one in question doesn't have a tail either. I asked about it on here and was told that her tail feathers would grow back at her next molt. The run is ridiculously small. I can't stand up in it, and am also concerned that other birds will get out if I open the door to the run. I can't do much in terms of interacting with them until we're able to get some temporary fencing set up, so that I can actually move around properly with them and not have them escape. The thing preventing this is my parents, who are the reason that I have such a small set up in the first place. They don't want me pushing for more.

Back
Top Bottom