Is my hen sick? If so, with what?

Oh god-another hen is acting weird (I think weird, I don't really know their 'normal' yet) She makes gurgling sounds and occasionally a louder gagging sound. I don't think this is normal and I am very scared. It will be almost impossible to get her out of the coop without others escaping.

The same hen that is pictured is now sitting in the dust bath with her head tucked under her wing. I'm very scared that something is wrong.

Oh god-another hen is acting weird (I think weird, I don't really know their 'normal' yet) She makes gurgling sounds and occasionally a louder gagging sound. I don't think this is normal and I am very scared. It will be almost impossible to get her out of the coop without others escaping.
This hen also has a bit of gunk on her beak, but not as much as the other one.

It's ok about the small run after all, it's your parents place and I understand.
We just wanted you to get a good up close look at the face. I'm sorry your going through this stress with your new chickens. It's a learning curve for you and you ARE doing the Best you can.
Any time, you have concerns about one of the chickens, you always need to take pictures of what your concerned about and the poop. Plus, any information you can give about the chicken such as age, what it eats what does the poop look like.
Since these chickens have been passed around before you got them, you have to prepare yourself the best you can because they maybe already sick or have problems and that could be the reason others have not kept them.
You are doing a great job by watching them, taking pictures, asking questions ect. You are off to a good start as a chicken keeper. If they do get out, more than likely, they will come back because your the Momma Hen with food! Just rattle the food and call Chick-Chick and they should come running.

Last edited:
Can you take a pic of their coop and run?
Please don't tell me it's too small. I know. I am fully aware, and really want it to be bigger.
IMG-1097.jpg

They have food, water, and a nesting box in the coop. We've only gotten one egg so far and suspect that it was already in the making before they came.

Its fine for now. Will they be able to free range in the yard once they adjust?

Best thing to do right now is wait and see how they do healthwise. Give them a few days. Could be you have sick birds. Make sure they have plenty of chicken food and fresh water is all you can do right now. If their laying age, get some oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom