Is my it possible my Ameraucana hasn't started laying after 6 months?

One of my EEs took well over seven months before she started, but she lays quite regularly now. The other one is younger and still shows no signs of even being close, so she may wait until spring. I'm really hoping I get a different shade of green or blue, or even pink, just for variety.
big_smile.png

Robin

Quote:
wee.gif
ya.gif
woot.gif
celebrate.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif

Some of my Ameraucanas started way to early. I'm getting three tiny little blue eggs from my 4 1/2 month olds. I really wish they had taken longer as they are still so small. Abigail, Mable and Buffy have joined the breakfast club, and although they are adorable I sure wish they had grown more. I find they do better and lay longer if they wait until they are a bit older.

On New Years Day, Carla laid her first GREEN egg. What a cool hen. I've been waiting on this egg since the day we choose her, Cinco De Mayo. (That's 8 months) We were out of town for a week and the day after we got back in town I poked my head out the back door (as I do often on the weekends
smile.png
) and saw the three other hens ranging the yard. Then I heard rustling in the coop and knew that this was the day for Carla to lay her first egg. How eggcited I was....

I had Carla pose with her first egg.
wee.gif

On New Years Day, Carla laid her first GREEN egg. What a cool hen. I've been waiting on this egg since the day we choose her, Cinco De Mayo. (That's 8 months) We were out of town for a week and the day after we got back in town I poked my head out the back door (as I do often on the weekends
smile.png
) and saw the three other hens ranging the yard. Then I heard rustling in the coop and knew that this was the day for Carla to lay her first egg. How eggcited I was....

I had Carla pose with her first egg.
wee.gif

Oh that's so sweet! She looks just like my Mabel. Congratulations! My Mabel's eggs have gotten almost full sized now, but Abigail still lays tiny eggs and she is smaller in size than the Hamburgs. Mabel isn't as big as some of the other EEs that waited, but she has still grown bigger than poor tiny little Abigail. I much prefer them to wait until they have completely grown before they begin to lay.

Wow my Doris laid for 2 months before she started a moult and I haven't gotten an egg from her since August, Olive is 6 months and no eggs from her yet. I'm learning that girls especially EEs can be picky.

Just thought I'd post to tell you all that my blue Ams started laying (well, one out of 6 did) and she laid for December but now seems to be on vacation! Also my Wheaton Ameracauna started laying in late November and has also recently gone on vacation! I have these birds separated and was hoping for some nice blue eggs to sell in late winter...Hmmm--this plan isnt working like I thought it would! Terri O

My Ameraucana laid a beautiful blue egg at just 5 months. . . but then hasn't laid another one (that was 5 days ago). Is that common for new layers? She is still crouching like mad every time we go near her, so hopefully she's not on an egg hiatus.

It takes a bit for them to get he egg factory running smoothly. Give her some time to see what happens. She may also be hiding those eggs in an unusual spot.

Back
Top Bottom