Is my Leghorn broody?

BirdGirl2004

Crowing
Nov 19, 2016
Huntington, Indiana
My leghorn has been sitting on about 12 eggs for more than 2 hours now and she keep curling them under her. I put some chicken food up on a wide plank of wood next to her and she got up ate and went back on them.... is she broody? I did't think that leghorns brood very often. I really want a broody hen so this would be awesome!!

she could be is she puffing up when you go near her or making a growly type noise... the food next to her is unnecessary she will get down eat and drink and poo quickly then get back on the nest once she is done. She could definitely be broody only time will tell but it sounds like she is

she is now growling!! And she has been sitting on them for 4 hours straight!! She got off them once for a very short time. If she is on them tonight i will then move her in to a dog crate or a dark, quiet place!! Thanks for your help!

well, she got off them and I'm not sure if she was just taking a food break or not but another chicken got on them to lay an egg while she was gone, she has not gone back on them. Bit its kind of weird because she sat on them for most 5 hours!! Weird!!

I have a white leghorn that is driving me crazy. She sleeps on the nest, stays the whole morning and goes out for the whole afternoon. She picked a nest away from the other hens, made the nest herself, and is up to 13 eggs. Is she broody? Please help

My white leghorn is sitting on 2 eggs, I found 5 yesterday and removed them and she did a lot of complaining off and on. I removed one this morning. They have all been pretty much in the same spot in the coop. She or the others are not using the boxes. How do i know if its all the same hen? One of the others has been doing a lot clucking standing outside the coop door. I have 4 leghorns. Had a a rooster but had to rehome him (city ordinance and I think a neighbor complained) up until last weekend.

My leghorn has been sitting on about 12 eggs for more than 2 hours now and she keep curling them under her. I put some chicken food up on a wide plank of wood next to her and she got up ate and went back on them.... is she broody? I did't think that leghorns brood very often. I really want a broody hen so this would be awesome!!
You may be suffering from wishful thinking.
Do not provide food/water in the nest, they should get off nest to eat and drink

Some birds will 'lounge' in the nests before and after laying...they will also be vocal on nest when disturbed.
Broody will sit on the nest most the day and all night long...until they do that for 2-3 days running I do not call broody.

Don't waste good eggs by leaving them in the nest hoping a bird will go broody.
Use fake eggs if you want to try that.

You may be suffering from wishful thinking.
Do not provide food/water in the nest, they should get off nest to eat and drink

Some birds will 'lounge' in the nests before and after laying...they will also be vocal on nest when disturbed.
Broody will sit on the nest most the day and all night long...until they do that for 2-3 days running I do not call broody.

Don't waste good eggs by leaving them in the nest hoping a bird will go broody.
Use fake eggs if you want to try that.
lol... I don't even have this hen anymore:lau
I've become more experience since I've posted this and realized how dumb i was to think that a leghorn that had been sitting on a nest for 2 hours had gone broody... Oh well! Thanks anyways!:thumbsup

lol... I don't even have this hen anymore:lau
I've become more experience since I've posted this and realized how dumb i was to think that a leghorn that had been sitting on a nest for 2 hours had gone broody... Oh well! Thanks anyways!:thumbsup
Haha!....I didn't look at the date of the OP.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom