Is my little silkie a roo?

Hinotori

Silver Feathers
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Graham, WA
I have four little 5 week old silkies I picked up at a feed store here. I'm really thinking my buff one is a rooster. It's the only one that has comb and wattles coming in, and there is the red tint in that black comb. I'm just wondering if I'm correct on my sex guess.

I have some 9 week old EE girls as well. When I had them out in the warm sun today, one EE girl was nosy and coming up to check out the silkies. The buff did not take kindly to this and puffed up and then jumped and attacked her while the other three hid in the corner behind.

Sorry about the poor phone quality photo. You can see the white one some. They all have the same comb except the buff one here.
2011-05-14_20-41-04_526.jpg

Quote:
Going to have to agree. However, I thought many of my PQ silkies were boys and they turned out to be girls. You should see some of the combs/wattles on those girls. In fact, one of my girls is named Wattles.
lol.png
That being said, I'd still lean toward cockeral.

Thanks everyone. I thought I was going crazy because I knew they are supposed to be hard to sex. I'm playing that waiting game with my EEs.

I'm not planning on breeding silkies, but we're on land out in the country so he can stay as a pet. I picked up the little things in the hopes that they might hatch me a few eggs next year so I can order eggs.

The silkies are so much friendlier than the EEs. They are still in a clear brooder in the bathroom, so everytime I open the door they rush to the side to beg for a treat. When I take them outside, they stay by the floorless cage I use for them right now. If I wander off they come following because they know I'll find them worms.

So I may have to get me some better quality ones later on.

Back
Top Bottom