Is my new hen sick or is it just her nails?

thechickielady

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
Today I adopted two hens from a girl who is moving. She loves animals and always assured that they we're taken great care of. She always gave them medications to prevent worms, mites, colds, etc. Well her ROR is perfectly fine, but her white hen doesn't move much. She occasionally gets up and walks to a different spot, but she's usually lying down and sleeping.

When I got her I noticed she had horribly long nails. They were about an inch long. So I clipped them and now they are about half the length they were. I did try clipping them a little shorter, but I cut her poor nail too short and made her bleed and immediately stopped
sad.png
I did manage to get the bleeding to stop. She still doesn't walk much though. I'm thinking it's because her feet probably still hurt.

She doesn't eat or drink as much as the other hens, but other than that she seem's fine. She'll look around when she hears something or you touch her. Do you think she's just in pain or possibly sick? If she's sick what should I give her? I only have a southern states around so if you could recommend something from there, that'd be great.

Thank you so much!

welcome-byc.gif

She probably has some foot problems from having such long nails. So clipping them was a good thing. I would give her time to adjust. Watch her to see that she is eating and drinking. Pay extra attention to her and see if you can't get her to come around.

If you think she is at all sick, you might want to keep the 2 new hens isolated from your flock incase they do have something which could kill some of your birds. They do recommend a 30 day separation period for new birds. But it is up to you.

Until she has some real symptoms, you won't really be able to diagnose her. Just keep an eye on her and good luck with your new hens!
smile.png

I've no experience of this at all, but it sounds to me like she probably got the long claws from not walking & scratching around enough to start with. My guess would be the sitting caused the long nails, not the other way around. But just a guess!
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I absolutely concur that these 2 hens should be quarantined. Check the bottom of her feet for bumblefoot, it is usually a dark in color round scab with swelling, possible limping. Also check for scaley leg mites. I agree that the long nails could prevent her from walking etc...give her some time to see if she improves, observe her closely.

One of my hens, a light Brahma has claws that are easily more than an inch -- I think from bird to bird they are different. Claws that are an inch long ought not be that big a deal... not great maybe. I would look on the bottoms of their feet. The white one might have bumble foot which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. If it's sleeping quite a lot you might want to put Apple Cider Vinegar in her water (1 Tsp per gallon), get her to take in Poly-vi-sol children's liquid vitmamins WITHOUT iron and see how she responds to veggies, like carrots and greens.

Let us know who she does.

Jenny

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who responded! But I did give them some of the apple cider and water mixture. The vitamins I'll have to get tomorrow. As for the bumblefoot, there are no signs. I just went outside to check on them and she was walking around or standing for about 20 seconds. That's the longest I've seen her do that!
big_smile.png
I'm so happy!

I'll be sure to tell you all how she's doing every so often, but I do have another question. My new ROR and 2 of my other one's attack each other. They are separated by a fence, but that doesn't help much. My new one has a cut beak (it's so sad
sad.png
) so she can't hurt mine, but she is getting pretty beat up. I break it up every time I see them, and they are doing it less, but she's got a bloodied up comb and face. Is there anything I can do to help her heal? She wont let me heal it, so maybe those vitamins Jenny recommended? Thanks!

After further research I realized that my little lady is probably eggbound. She does have a messy tushie and her tail does stay down. I'm going to give her a warm bath and hope she feels better tomorrow! It can't hurt if she's not eggbound.
smile.png

I had an egg bound girl once, Gave her a "shower" with the hand attachment in the tub.
I think this helped relieve the suction from her pushing so much and swollen inside
Lubed her up with general purpose lube from the feed store, and helped her push it out
(you can usually feel it) and then palpate it out while she pushes.
Hope she feels better soon... and remember being egg-bound can be recurring so keep an eye on her.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to see how she's doing tomorrow. After her bath she was walking around much more, but now she's wobbling around. She uses her wings and tail to balance herself and she looks like she's just really dizzy. I'm going to keep an eye on her tomorrow and if I find an egg and she's still "dizzy" I'm going to see if maybe she has ear mites or an ear infection. My poor girl.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom