Is my Pretty Bird a rooster?

fargo234

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2021
Southeast Texas, Earth
Hey y'all! I ordered a bunch of females in June from a hatchery and ended up with a slew of roos. Six of my birds are Welsummers. At eight weeks it was totally apparent we ended up with one rooster. Cornelius had the comb, wattle, and walk that was all Roo. The other five appeared to be hens. Then at about 14 weeks, Pretty Bird started sprouting all these colorful feathers, what looks like saddle feathers, and two tail feathers. But no comb or wattle. They are sixteen weeks old in the pics but look no different today at 18. Cornelius is the only one that even tries to crow and two of my Rhode Island Reds turned out to be roosters too. If PB is a rooster, shouldn't he have the magnificent comb and wattle? Or is he just a really pretty she?

Pretty Bird.jpg

Cornelius.jpg

Together.jpg

Hey y'all! I ordered a bunch of females in June from a hatchery and ended up with a slew of roos. Six of my birds are Welsummers. At eight weeks it was totally apparent we ended up with one rooster. Cornelius had the comb, wattle, and walk that was all Roo. The other five appeared to be hens. Then at about 14 weeks, Pretty Bird started sprouting all these colorful feathers, what looks like saddle feathers, and two tail feathers. But no comb or wattle. They are sixteen weeks old in the pics but look no different today at 18. Cornelius is the only one that even tries to crow and two of my Rhode Island Reds turned out to be roosters too. If PB is a rooster, shouldn't he have the magnificent comb and wattle? Or is he just a really pretty she?

View attachment 2865114

View attachment 2865115
View attachment 2865116
They are both cockerels.

View attachment 2865114

View attachment 2865115
View attachment 2865116
And PB is an EE. He has a pea comb. You get to judge if it is magnificent or not 🤣

I personally like EE roosters. Here is mine:

Attachments

• 1CF7BA20-D2DA-44ED-92D6-0543F89C091C.jpeg
    1CF7BA20-D2DA-44ED-92D6-0543F89C091C.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 11
Thanks everybody! I was pretty sure he's a he, given how he looks and walks. But I could find no information online about Welsummer roosters that have such tiny combs. I've contacted the hatchery to see what info they might have. The two Rhode Island Red roosters are either being relocated to new homes or the freezer. Can a flock of 12 hens manage two roos?

Thanks again y'all!

Can a flock of 12 hens manage two roos?
It's generally not recommended, but honestly it depends on the invidual flock, and the indivual males. Especially when the boys are young. When they're young their hormones are raging and they tend to really pester the girls.

If you wanted to go that route, personally I'd seperate them till they are a bit older. Some roosters could have 2 hens and do just fine, and some could have 20 and still overmate the hens.

You want to be careful because overmating can seriously injure or even kill the hen.

It's generally not recommended, but honestly it depends on the invidual flock, and the indivual males. Especially when the boys are young. When they're young their hormones are raging and they tend to really pester the girls.

If you wanted to go that route, personally I'd seperate them till they are a bit older. Some roosters could have 2 hens and do just fine, and some could have 20 and still overmate the hens.

You want to be careful because overmating can seriously injure or even kill the hen.
Thanks you.

Thanks everybody! I was pretty sure he's a he, given how he looks and walks. But I could find no information online about Welsummer roosters that have such tiny combs. I've contacted the hatchery to see what info they might have. The two Rhode Island Red roosters are either being relocated to new homes or the freezer. Can a flock of 12 hens manage two roos?

Thanks again y'all!
Like I said. You do not have a Welsummer. Its a EE.

Shank color and pattern are wrong and he has the wrong comb.

Back
Top Bottom