Is my Rhode Island Red a rooster or hen?

They can potentially lay every 25 hours actually, pemphredo ;)
10 hens per rooster is the best average but it varies from breed to breed. That is to maximize fertility. You can certainly keep a rooster with only a hen or two if you want but two roosters would do better with 20 hens between them or they are more likely to fight.

That is absolutly a rooster, no doubt. Sickles, pointed hackles, large bright red comb, general gangliness, thick legs-he's a cockerel. I've actually found plenty of roosters to be friendlier and more social than hens, especially at this age. He has no buddies so your family is now his adopted flock. If you get hens he will likely become less social with you as he focuses on his hens' well-being. Chickens are social animals, yes, but they are perfectly content to interact with humans if they have no flock. If you decide to keep only him, be sure to give him lots of attention so he won't get lonely! Good luck with him!

They can potentially lay every 25 hours actually, pemphredo ;)
10 hens per rooster is the best average but it varies from breed to breed. That is to maximize fertility. You can certainly keep a rooster with only a hen or two if you want but two roosters would do better with 20 hens between them or they are more likely to fight.

That is absolutly a rooster, no doubt. Sickles, pointed hackles, large bright red comb, general gangliness, thick legs-he's a cockerel. I've actually found plenty of roosters to be friendlier and more social than hens, especially at this age. He has no buddies so your family is now his adopted flock. If you get hens he will likely become less social with you as he focuses on his hens' well-being. Chickens are social animals, yes, but they are perfectly content to interact with humans if they have no flock. If you decide to keep only him, be sure to give him lots of attention so he won't get lonely! Good luck with him!
I agree, he looks pretty rooster-y to me.

I hate to disagree with the previous posters.. but to me. that looks like a hen. RIR hens have large very red combs.
I have one that looks just like her at that age and mine is defiantly not a boy.

could you get a close up of the feathers on the back just above the tail. if they are thin and come to a point then it is a he, if they are wide and round at the ends the its a she. but my what big legs it has.

Here are a couple picture of the feathers just above the tail feathers. They look pretty pointed to me.

He's a rooster. Be glad he's nice and friendly now but please be oh so careful with your littles once the hormones kick in. Roosters and toddlers are a classic recipe for trouble.

Back
Top Bottom