Is my Rooster bored?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rudyroosmom, Feb 28, 2013.

1. rudyroosmom

rudyroosmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2013
    Boonville, MO
    I live in the midwest and there has been constant snow on the ground for almost 2 weeks. My chickens and roo are staying on the inside of the coop where it is warm and dry. The past few days my roo has been excessively aggressive when I come into the coop. He isn't anything I can't handle, but I am afraid that before the snow melts he may get worse. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to keep him frm getting bored? (i.e some sort of toys?) I am afraid of letting them out into the snow because of frostbite. Any ideas?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    How old is your rooster? If he is less than a year old his behavior may be changing as his testosterone levels rise and he matures.

If he has been sexually mature for a while, then perhaps he is getting bored or becoming more territorial due to the confined area. They are unlikely to get frostbite during the daytime. I shovel an area for my chickens and they chose to be outside much of the day unless it is windy or snowing. They don't mind temperatures over 20 F at all. You may want to clear some area out side and coax them out with some treats.

3. rudyroosmom

rudyroosmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2013
    Boonville, MO
    He will be a year old next month, so I expect it is testosterone. I have shoveled an area for them to walk around in and hopefully him getting some outside exercise will help. Thanks!

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I think the problem with your rooster has more to do with hormones surging and the days turning toward spring. Be prepared for him to get worse. He may begin to object to your entering the coop at all.

Above all, don't show fear, but do be firm with him. But go slow, and be careful with the hens so he has no reason to think he has to protect them from you. Yes, they get that way when hormones flow and the days get longer. Are his legs turning red? That's a sure sign he's got spring "fever".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by