Is My Rooster Molting?

ejcrist

Songster
Oct 16, 2015
Desert Hills, AZ
I'm in my first year raising chickens and all my pullets are 9 months old now. I bought my Barred Rock rooster from a breeder and he turned 1 year old in July (the rooster not the breeder), and I suspect he's molting but I've never witnessed a molt before so I'm hoping someone can confirm that's what he's undergoing. I noticed his feathers starting to look a little ratty, like he had split ends about two weeks ago. Today I noticed he has a pretty big bald spot on his neck. I took a few pictures and only got one good one of his neck, and even then you have to look carefully to see it. Anyway, if anyone can chime in and confirm he's molting I'd appreciate it. I inspect all my birds regularly about once a week and never saw any signs of mites or anything. I got a bag of Nutrena Feather Fixer and started mixing it in their food today mostly for the rooster's benefit, but I read it's good for all the birds which is a good thing since mine are winding down their first year of hard laying and could use a little extra protein to help their feathers look a little better.

er.

Sure does look like it.
Did you just get him?

If you look closely you may see new 'pin' feathers growing in.

I like to feed a flock raiser/grower/finisher 20% protein crumble full time to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

My roo is about 3 1/2 months (14 weeks) old (I took him in when he was about 9 weeks old so I don't know his actually age). The day before yesterday I noticed pin feathers on the back of his neck and feathers of all sizes are all over the coop... I give my chickens an in-depth inspection every 2 weeks, but I haven't seen any mites, lice (or eggs), or damage done by fellow coop-mates. We are getting into cooler weather, so I'm wondering if he may be molting??? He is just so young! He is my only roo (I have 3 pullets who are 18 weeks old- not laying or showing signs of molting) and he is the top of the "pecking order" in my flock.
Last weekend I added 3 babies to my happy little family, so I suppose it could be stress-related? One of my pullets adopted the 3 chicks... but no one else has changed their behavior. They all free range in the afternoon/evening and come into the coop at night- they all sleep in the same nesting box (even Charlie).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

My roo is about 3 1/2 months (14 weeks) old (I took him in when he was about 9 weeks old so I don't know his actually age). The day before yesterday I noticed pin feathers on the back of his neck and feathers of all sizes are all over the coop... I give my chickens an in-depth inspection every 2 weeks, but I haven't seen any mites, lice (or eggs), or damage done by fellow coop-mates. We are getting into cooler weather, so I'm wondering if he may be molting??? He is just so young! He is my only roo (I have 3 pullets who are 18 weeks old- not laying or showing signs of molting) and he is the top of the "pecking order" in my flock.
Last weekend I added 3 babies to my happy little family, so I suppose it could be stress-related? One of my pullets adopted the 3 chicks... but no one else has changed their behavior. They all free range in the afternoon/evening and come into the coop at night- they all sleep in the same nesting box (even Charlie).

I'm certainly no expert but I read they won't molt until their 2d year. And then I believe they might do a partial or full molt. I wouldn't think your cock would be molting at this point - too young. Again though take that with a grain of salt because I'm not speaking from experience but book knowledge only.

I'm certainly no expert but I read they won't molt until their 2d year. And then I believe they might do a partial or full molt. I wouldn't think your cock would be molting at this point - too young. Again though take that with a grain of salt because I'm not speaking from experience but book knowledge only.
All young birds go through multiple molts as they grow, otherwise they would grow out of their feathers. Sorry quoted the wrong post.

Last edited:

All young birds go through multiple molts as they grow, otherwise they would grow out of their feathers.
Yep, 12-14 weeks is the last juvenile molt and a big one....feathers everywhere and pin feathers coming in.

My rooster is 7 months old and his feathers have the same fluffy look at the base of his tail and on his neck. I noticed a bald spot by his tail and grabbed him to check him over (he loved it by the way). I thought it an odd age to molt but other than white flakes, I didnt see any indication of bugs. The flakes are like dry skin and are not bugs as I checked thoroughly to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom