Is my rooster ok without a heat lamp in winter?

ducklover1243

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
My rooster is the only chicken in the coop I have, and it's only november but starting to get cold out at night. Is he ok without a heat lamp if I put a warm fuzzy blanket into the nesting box for him to sit in, or will he still get cold and should I just install my heat lamp into it? thanks

Quote:
What breed is he? If he is a cold hardy breed and there are no drafts, he will be fine without heat in the coop- that's what those down coats are for.
wink.png

If you are worried about his comb if he is of an Italian breed (Ancona, Andalusian, Leghorn), it won't hurt to have a heat lamp. Doesn't he have a companion or is he isolated from your other birds?

Some folks swore by rubbing Vaseline on the combs and wattles but I've tried that and it was unsuccessful on my Wellie roo! He had his points frostbitten and wattles discolored.

he does not have any companions and he is a small Leghorn possibly Leghorn / some kind of bantam mix

If i do put a heat lamp in, is it ok if it is a ceramic one that lets out heat and not the inferred type?, because I have that kind too, but since my coop doesnt have alot of height, I am worried he would OVERheat with that one because it gets very hot. But do they need the lighted kind or is ceramic one ok?

Quote:
Yes, that one's perfect, it says "insulated porcelain sockets" which is what you what.
Those are the ones we use for brooders. We also have that one on the turtle tank with a ceramic heater bulb like you're talking about using.
You could also get the little plugin at:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006U2HD2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
It turns on at 35 degrees and off at 45 degrees. That way he'd stay above freezing. I say spoil that boy!
smile.png

If you are worried and want to a heat lamp wouldn't hurt - I heated my chicken's coop the first year, then stopped after because they really didn't need it, but since it is only him . . . One thing you might try is coating his comb and wattles with vaseline if they start to get frostbite on the tips. This works extremely well for me - And it's good for your hands too!

how cold is it getting? chickens really don't need added heat...even one. Keep the litter deep, and ensure there are no drafts, he will be fine.
if you get him used to having heat, and it stops working, then he is not acclimated to the cold.

I would suggest looking into one of the Thermocubes. Someone already mentioned the model that comes on at 35 and off at 45 (no worries of overheating at those temps...lol). But they also come in models of "On at 20 - off at 30" and even lower. So if you choose to add nightly heat for your little roo, choose an option that adds a little warmth, but doesn't create a sauna. What you don't want is for your chicken to have to go from a toasty 60 degree night out into a 15 degree day.
As long as his area is draft free and he has plenty of snuggable bedding, he will survive without heat down to zero and below (assuming he's in good health). But if you choose to make his nights a little more comfortable, that's your prerogative at a pet/animal owner.

Back
Top Bottom