Is my rooster OK?

faz669

Hatching
Oct 30, 2023
My father recently passed away and I am looking after his chickens. The male seems to be getting some white patches either side of his neck/face, and a white fluffy bit at the bottom of his back.

Seems to be acting normal but I have not noticed these changed in him before, does anybody know what this is and if I should be concerned please?

Thanks
20231023_142747.jpg
20231023_142749.jpg
20231023_142722.jpg
20231023_142725.jpg
20231023_142743.jpg

My father recently passed away and I am looking after his chickens. The male seems to be getting some white patches either side of his neck/face, and a white fluffy bit at the bottom of his back.

Seems to be acting normal but I have not noticed these changed in him before, does anybody know what this is and if I should be concerned please?

Thanks
View attachment 3671631View attachment 3671632View attachment 3671633View attachment 3671634View attachment 3671635
He is a very handsome rooster who is doing his yearly molt! It's completely normal and in a new weeks he should look normal! I'm sorry your father passed away, what other breeds did he have?

He is molting. No cause for concern. Feed him some treats like sunflower seeds and cracked corn. It will help him stay warm during winter and help the feathers grow in faster and stronger. They will not break as much and bleed all over.

thats great! I was worried.

They have a big bag of corn, big bag of pellets then a bag of seeds and a bag of dried worms that we mix up. They also love picking at the fruit that my dads trees drop.

Im not sure what other breeds he has, its a white normal looking hen, then a white hen with a sort of lions mane, I believe it is a polish breed.

Then we have our 4 youngsters who are not so young anymore. Was just really worried when these white patches started appearing soon as my father stopped visiting them!

thats great! I was worried.

They have a big bag of corn, big bag of pellets then a bag of seeds and a bag of dried worms that we mix up. They also love picking at the fruit that my dads trees drop.

Im not sure what other breeds he has, its a white normal looking hen, then a white hen with a sort of lions mane, I believe it is a polish breed.

Then we have our 4 youngsters who are not so young anymore. Was just really worried when these white patches started appearing soon as my father stopped visiting them!
Very sorry about your Father, but it's great your looking after his birds. Very handsome boy you have there, btw. You could post pics of the rest if you need breed ideas for them. Always people here to help with any questions or concerns we have with our chicken obsession.

Welcome to BYC, btw. And good luck with your "newish" flock... :frow

Back
Top Bottom