Is my Rooster trying to attack me or court me?

imogene08

Chirping
6 Years
May 12, 2013
Florida
Ok so i have a 6 month old New Hamshire rooster now he just recently started doing this to me he is a gentle rooster and all gentle with the girls etc.now i went out there and he makes a loud constent clucking and walks sideways at me it only lasts about 5 secounds but he is aways clucking loudly when im in the coop feeding or petting.he lets me pick him up and all but why does he do this to me?

I think he's probably just trying to give you a warning and protect the hens, that's what that sounds like to me. He probably sees you as a threat to his flock or a challenge to him.

The strange thing is that he lets you pick him up. I would think that if he saw you as a threat, he wouldn't allow you to touch him. Maybe he's just trying to get you to fall in line? Your discription sounds like what I see roos do when they have a girl that's some place they don't want them. THey will cluck and kind of stomp their feet around the hen to drive her in the right direction. -DS

The strange thing is that he lets you pick him up. I would think that if he saw you as a threat, he wouldn't allow you to touch him. Maybe he's just trying to get you to fall in line? Your discription sounds like what I see roos do when they have a girl that's some place they don't want them. THey will cluck and kind of stomp their feet around the hen to drive her in the right direction. -DS
Yeah it does sound like that. I guess he thinks she's another chicken.

Someone said i have to stop babying him and that hes courting me guess i gottta stop doing that:/
I wouldn't stop babying him at all, it'll make it so he doesn't attack you. A rooster that is courting you is WAY better than a rooster that attacks you because he sees you as a threat.

Yes but they said i must stop petting him and picking him up and show im boss before he turns on me i really dont wanna make him change but i wanna do whats best

Yes but they said i must stop petting him and picking him up and show im boss before he turns on me i really dont wanna make him change but i wanna do whats best
If you've held him and pet him this whole time, since he's six months old, I would think he would've already turned on you. But, it is true because when chickens are lower in rank they groom the boss of the flock and when you pet him it counts as grooming. So, it is the right thing to do.

I wouldn't stop babying him at all, it'll make it so he doesn't attack you. A rooster that is courting you is WAY better than a rooster that attacks you because he sees you as a threat.

I don't think he's courting you, I think he's treating you like a hen. And that is not good. Do a search here on BYC for something along the lines of "rooster attacking me" and see just how many people had roosters that they cuddled and petted and loved, but then turned on them around one year of age. When roosters attack you, it's rarely because they see you as a threat to the hens--instead, they see you as a subordinate rooster and are putting you in your place. That's why he attacks you and also lets you pick him up--he's the boss of you, and when you pet him you are reinforcing that.
If you've held him and pet him this whole time, since he's six months old, I would think he would've already turned on you. But, it is true because when chickens are lower in rank they groom the boss of the flock and when you pet him it counts as grooming. So, it is the right thing to do.
Most roosters will only start showing aggression when they are older than six months.

Back
Top Bottom