Is my Silkie not laying or eating hers/her sister's eggs?!

ChobeeChickenMommy

Songster
8 Years
Sep 2, 2011
Okeechobee, FL
So for the past 4-5 days when I have gone out to get the eggs & check on my Silkies I have only been getting 1 egg. I have 2 6 month Silkies that both were laying when I got them & both started right away after bringing them home... So does this mean one of them isn't laying anymore or could one be eating an egg?! How do I know? They don't lay in their nesting boxes instead they (or whoever the layer is) prefers a corner of their coop where she pushed the pine shavings around to her/their liking... Please help, any insight is appreciated!

This time of year laying can be spotty due to molting and new layers can have inconsistent laying as well. You might want to provide a little more protein and offer some oyster shell free choice to help her get back on track.

Yes, you can get OS at the feed store. Sometimes it's in larger bags than you need but it is pretty cheap, so just buy the bag and use it over the years. You can up protein by feeding some cat food.

Thank you for this info. I have 2 Silkies as well that are not laying anymore. They both wanted to stay in the nesting box day after day. One is loosing lots of feathers also. Both were laying 1 egg a day before this.

Back
Top Bottom