Is my situation right for ducks?

Yeah my only concern with muscovies would be them getting up and over the fence. They are all over a local park here and I have seen them get pretty high in flight, not for very long though.

For the covered pen I like the idea of using a dances dog pen. It would probably be easiest. But I may end up building a pen off the coop I build so it’ll match. That should keep the wife somewhat happy, another factor to consider throughout this process.

Last edited:
The yard is also surrounded by 8ft privacy fencing
but some people might say khaki campbells can go higher. But the 8 foot fence is way higher than you need so I say you're quite safe with that height.

I once had a Khaki female fly over my 5ft 4” fence. Once she cleared the fence she ended up landing about 20-25 feet away from the pen. Not saying your fence is too low... just confirming the some people may say Khakis will fly more than others. Best of luck with your duck endeavors!

I once had a Khaki female fly over my 5ft 4” fence. Once she cleared the fence she ended up landing about 20-25 feet away from the pen. Not saying your fence is too low... just confirming the some people may say Khakis will fly more than others. Best of luck with your duck endeavors!

Thanks.

Hopefully sticking to some heavier breeds will prevent this happening. I might occasionally test out a lighter bird or 2 at a time.

My Google-fu is failing me at the moment but I recall a video in which a guy was able to "potty-train" his ducks to poop around his fruit trees and help fertilize them. He planted something a trained the ducks to eat it. I'll look for it later when I have more time.

My Google-fu is failing me at the moment but I recall a video in which a guy was able to "potty-train" his ducks to poop around his fruit trees and help fertilize them. He planted something a trained the ducks to eat it. I'll look for it later when I have more time.

Now THAT would be handy!

Also, if anyone has recommendations/pictures of coop designs for hot humid weather it would be much appreciated.

Everything I have read has said ventilation is key but it seems odd to have a completely open coop.

I was thinking of something like this but maybe open up the side a bit more by bringing the mesh halfway down.

Duck-coop-plans.jpg

What you described seems to be great for having ducks. I am new to ducks but my backyard is way much smaller than yours and here is what i came to do for my 2 ducklings ( I think they are moscovies, not sure, very quiet , and still dont now their gender. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/quack-b-b.75411/
Your coop plan look great! And you have plenty of space. I like the idea some gave you of having an enclousure (big dog cage 8 x 10x 6' h ) for them, for their safety when you are not around. I'll be waiting to see what you end up doing!

It sounds like you have adequate space. I don't see them escaping as most domestic ducks cannot really fly. You mention a swing set and a patio. I want to mention that ducks poop a lot. It is liquid and can be projectile. If you don't want duck poop on your patio you will need a way to keep them off. If you don't want kids (I'm assuming there are kids since you said swing set) running through duck poop, the ducks may need their own separate area. Ducks are fun and lay great eggs. I say go for it! Double check the zoning of your property and make sure it's permitted first, it's a terrible thing to find out afterwards and have to part with them if it's not allowed. Ducks are not difficult to keep as pets and quite entertaining. Good luck!

I've thought about poop on the patio. Haha Especially since we often hang out back their to cook and watch football.

I figured I would first try to encourage them to stay further out in the yard by putting things like water , bushes, and food away from the patio. I know I will still have to deal with poop on concrete but if I can manage to keep it to where I only have to hose off occasionally like when I am out picking up the dog's poop then I am fine with that. Just part of the package!

Poop on kids wouldn't thrill my wife so if that becomes an issue I would absolutely pen them to a particular part of the yard. Again, I hope with as much area as they will have, the poop won't be too concentrated. Hopefully they save it all for my garden.

Back
Top Bottom