1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my Svart Hona a Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by abenitez1989, Nov 23, 2016.

1. abenitez1989

abenitez1989 New Egg

Oct 24, 2016
    I have 3 Svart Honas and I thought I had a rooster but now I'm not sure. They are about 6-8 months old. One is exceptionally noisy. Struts around making loud squawks but I wouldn't call it a crow. It looks a little heavier than the other 2. Comb looks like a smaller version of the typical svart rooster comb.

I question his "roosterness" because I'm not seeing spurs or the rooster tail feathers. There's always either 2 or 4 eggs in the nesting box so I don't know if he's a she. Any thoughts? I'll post a picture soon.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Need to see some good photos

3. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

X2. [​IMG]

~Alex

4. HonaHelp

HonaHelp Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2017
    Ohio
    I bought 4 svart hona babies...and sold 2 back to the breeder because they were cockerels. Dumb, dumb, dumb of me. I miss those little ebonies. I'm now planning on having one day old chicks shipped to me from Oklahoma....(I'm in Ohio)---because I want more svarts. The original breeder from Ohio is backed up with orders she is trying to fill....so---we are not getting any pullets from her any time soon. I'm sick. Sick I tell you. Completely hooked. [​IMG]

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    At that age it will be easy to determine gender if you take and post some photos of your bird.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by