is my water going to hurt my chickens?

I also live in central NY north of Syracuse. I am very new to raising chicks. My girls are only 4 weeks old. I also have sulfur water with a water softener. (To Woodmort: no wonder I have a bearded dragon in my 55 gal tank instead of fish. I had no idea). Anyway, the chicks are drinking the water but now I am afraid it may hurt them in the future. There is a spring 5 miles up the road, but that would be very difficult getting when you live in the snow belt of NY. I guess I will try to figure out the rain barrel idea. Thanks BYC people.

B'villechicken :

I live in the Syracuse area and have a water softener. My 8 Red Stars have done well for the past 1.5 years without problems. They should be OK. Most softeners have a bypass valve that you can turn to bypass the softener and allow unsoftened water to the hose bib (spigot). You could do that to fill your waterers then turn it back to softened water again. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

David

Thanks so much for the reply. that puts my mind at ease hearing first hand .

Im am very local enough to know what bville means!​

well chickenz have salt needs how much salt is this water vs what is required? could just eliminate the suplement salt from diet.
alteritively a 20 foot piece of gutter is ~8$ id probally paint it matte black in and out. then a down spout or 2 to one or 2 plastic 55 gal drum(found on ebay 50 miles from me for 10$ in about 30 seconds possibly free if i scrounge) with holes a layer of landscape fabric with peagravel or old aguarium gravel to keep the bits out. or can use a few layers but peagravel will slow run off the top

We're in the same region, with the same sulfer/high iron water. Been here for 22 years with chickens the whole time. If the water causes a problem it's one that hasn't been apparent to me.

I have a well here in southern illinois that was on the verge of not compatible with humans just because of the hardness of the water and taste. I have used it for years with the animals and livestock without problems. In fact I think they are healthier from all the minerals.

Back
Top Bottom