Is my white Muscovy an drake (pictures of it)

TeamRetic

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
Bay Area, CA
I been wondering if my white Muscovy is a drake. It has a big chest and it has a big behind. He/she

is also nice and soft. The white one is name Pinky and the other one is name the Brain. They are about 6 or 7 weeks old.

Last edited:
as COF (too lazy to write the whole thing) says, they are a bit young as they still have some downey.

But I think the white ducks is a drake, in comparison to the other 'scovie, the white one has a large feet to body ratio, usually meaning a drake.
I've also noticed that young drakes have a point-arched shape tail, whereas females have a flat tail, so if you can look for this in your ducks you might have a bit of a clue.

I think it might be a drake... and if it is... you might be heading down the road of future ducklings if the other one is a female. :D

you cannot tell the difference in sex by a muscovy tail.

it's a bit early to tell and pretty hard from photo's, the white one looks more like a female in the side shot, but thats just my opinion.

sometimes you can tell on size at this age but not always. one might just be the runt, sometimes you'll get a small male that's the same size as a large female.

after a while of breeding them you get your own "tells", i look at head shapes a lot, the shape of the neck(i think the male necks are longer so the profile is a different shape, just me though
smile.png
), some people go on feet and leg size, some people go on wing development, some people go on the duckling size, even when you way all of the above up you can still get it wrong! unfortunately there is no one way of telling, it just means i get to keep ducklings longer till i can sex them.

you cannot tell the difference in sex by a muscovy tail.

it's a bit early to tell and pretty hard from photo's, the white one looks more like a female in the side shot, but thats just my opinion.

sometimes you can tell on size at this age but not always. one might just be the runt, sometimes you'll get a small male that's the same size as a large female.

after a while of breeding them you get your own "tells", i look at head shapes a lot, the shape of the neck(i think the male necks are longer so the profile is a different shape, just me though
smile.png
), some people go on feet and leg size, some people go on wing development, some people go on the duckling size, even when you way all of the above up you can still get it wrong! unfortunately there is no one way of telling, it just means i get to keep ducklings longer till i can sex them.
I thought I'd get 3 girls because when I bought the ducklings, I picked the 3 smallest, and I chose the smallest Pekin, I was certain this was a female, as it was tiny, it was small, it had a small feet to body ratio and it was noisy as the males are normaly quite right?
Of course, with all this going for the little one, I assumed it was a girl... nope, turned out be be a very stunning Drake.

So really, there are little clues but even these can fool you.

From Right to Left, Crackles, Peeper and Pip. Peeper looks a lot bigger in this photo then what he was at the time, I thought that Crackles was a Drake, Peeper a hen and Pip female, so far, I'm wrong in all of them -_-

Peeper showing off. With Pip and Crackles in the background. He makes a very soft noise compared to Crackes, Pip is quite too... he/she doesn't quack, or make Peeper's noise. Maybe he's mute... or just shy. :)

I am not sure. The lady I bought it from had a few pairs of muscovies and they all had babies. There was a male that was huge and a size of a small goose and it was white in color.

Back
Top Bottom