Is OSB ok?

chickenboy

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Woolwich,ME
I'm planning to make a new coop and I'm about to buy some wood. Would it be ok use OSB for the siding, because I'm a little low on funds.
caf.gif

I wish I could tell you, but I will need to watch replies here too as that is what we used in revamping our shed into a coop. We just didnt have alot of other options and OSB is what was readily available at the time. I dont have the chicks out there yet, so I hope its alright. If not, I have a week or two to fix it....
roll.png

It can be used but:

You need to make sure its "cured" and that as much of the fumes as possible have left the wood. Otherwise it could cause respiratory problems for your birds.

And if its used in a way that it can get wet and not dry quickly it will rot sooner rather than later. Such as where the sides meet the floor, that joint will have a tough time drying and will rot fairly quickly.

OSB=Oriented Strand Board.

OSB can be used. I have used for a large coop in the past but it should never be allowed to contact the ground as it wicks water badly. It should be painted very good as well.

The best way to use OSB is to cover it with siding of some type.

I used OSB - I used wooden pallets and plywood for the floor to keep it off the ground. I also sided it with shingles - very inexpensive and easy. As WES suggests, if not sided you need to have a few coats of paint to seal the outside - if you get any holes or scratches make sure you paint right away because the boards are like sponges and will rot quickly.
100_0537.jpg

100_0546.jpg

osb used in construction usually on roofs. It can be used on walls but really need covered with a siding. The have a groove looking board and baton looking 4x8 sheets here that are made for walls but at 2 times the price. If you paint it it will take several coats to seal it. I really would not leave it exposed to the elements. It was not made to be a siding. But if you do plan on repainting it almost yearly. And personally I don't think it looks all that great.
Pic inside my coop the ceiling. The light green is the osb.....................
coop32.jpg

Scott

hard to see in pics but interior wall are plywood edges and cracks are bondo applied to fill them. everything painted with oil based paints. black is blackjack roofing rubber 3' up walls and on floors.

Scott

Can you look for siding at a reclaimed materials store?
I gave 7 bucks a sheet here for siding at a second hand materials shop. Here they get a lot of over buys and slightly damaged material that is still new.

Back
Top Bottom