1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. chickenboy

chickenboy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Woolwich,ME
    I'm planning to make a new coop and I'm about to buy some wood. Would it be ok use OSB for the siding, because I'm a little low on funds.
    [​IMG]

2. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    I wish I could tell you, but I will need to watch replies here too as that is what we used in revamping our shed into a coop. We just didnt have alot of other options and OSB is what was readily available at the time. I dont have the chicks out there yet, so I hope its alright. If not, I have a week or two to fix it....[​IMG]

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    It can be used but:

You need to make sure its "cured" and that as much of the fumes as possible have left the wood. Otherwise it could cause respiratory problems for your birds.

And if its used in a way that it can get wet and not dry quickly it will rot sooner rather than later. Such as where the sides meet the floor, that joint will have a tough time drying and will rot fairly quickly.

4. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    What's OSB???

5. Wes in Tx

Wes in Tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas
    OSB=Oriented Strand Board.

OSB can be used. I have used for a large coop in the past but it should never be allowed to contact the ground as it wicks water badly. It should be painted very good as well.

The best way to use OSB is to cover it with siding of some type.

6. mainely-chick

mainely-chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Maine
    I used OSB - I used wooden pallets and plywood for the floor to keep it off the ground. I also sided it with shingles - very inexpensive and easy. As WES suggests, if not sided you need to have a few coats of paint to seal the outside - if you get any holes or scratches make sure you paint right away because the boards are like sponges and will rot quickly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by