Is our Jubilee Orpington a rooster?

Arthaey

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Seattle, WA
We hatched a Jubilee Orpington egg 22 weeks ago, and now we have a beautiful chicken in our flock.

But a week or two ago, we started hearing crowing in the mornings sometimes. MyPetChicken claims that hens can crow, especially in an all-female flock, which we otherwise have. But naturally we’re wondering if this Jubilee is a rooster rather than a hen. That would be a bummer because we’re not allowed to keep a rooster in the city limits.

Can you tell from these photos whether our 22-week-old Jubilee Orpington is male or female? Thanks!

8475B2B9-F244-4260-89CE-C4B641E46A63.jpeg
7FA2F085-D9D5-47C1-929B-89514B0A575C.jpeg
490C5339-45C0-49B8-875F-0746D2946F43.jpeg
0A27B67B-78C6-4B00-8027-479AA1416F9C.jpeg

Siiiiigh. That’s what we were afraid of. 😞 But thank you, everyone, for the quick responses!

We’d hoped maybe someone here on the forum would say that Jubilee hens just look a whole lot like roosters but really they aren’t… but we weren’t expecting that wishful thinking to actually pan out. 🤷‍♀️

I’ll take a day or two to reach out to some folks outside the city limits who might want to keep a rooster with their flock, but if he’s destined for someone’s dinner table, we might as well do that ourselves. Stupid 50/50 odds! 😝

Siiiiigh. That’s what we were afraid of. 😞 But thank you, everyone, for the quick responses!

We’d hoped maybe someone here on the forum would say that Jubilee hens just look a whole lot like roosters but really they aren’t… but we weren’t expecting that wishful thinking to actually pan out. 🤷‍♀️

I’ll take a day or two to reach out to some folks outside the city limits who might want to keep a rooster with their flock, but if he’s destined for someone’s dinner table, we might as well do that ourselves. Stupid 50/50 odds! 😝
He's pretty enough that he'll find a home. Put him on Craigslist.

I’m going to ask coworkers & the hatchery.

We thought about Craigslist, but honestly we just don’t want to deal with Craigslist randos (vetting that they really will keep him as a “pet”, that they know how to raise chickens in good conditions, that they’ll actually show up when they say they will, etc). Especially since he’s already crowing.
That's cool too. I have always had my best luck with CL so thought I'd suggest it. I actually have one family that still (2 years later) sends me pics and updates.

Back
Top Bottom