Is our Jubilee Orpington a rooster?

Arthaey

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Seattle, WA
We hatched a Jubilee Orpington egg 22 weeks ago, and now we have a beautiful chicken in our flock.

But a week or two ago, we started hearing crowing in the mornings sometimes. MyPetChicken claims that hens can crow, especially in an all-female flock, which we otherwise have. But naturally we’re wondering if this Jubilee is a rooster rather than a hen. That would be a bummer because we’re not allowed to keep a rooster in the city limits.

Can you tell from these photos whether our 22-week-old Jubilee Orpington is male or female? Thanks!

8475B2B9-F244-4260-89CE-C4B641E46A63.jpeg
7FA2F085-D9D5-47C1-929B-89514B0A575C.jpeg
490C5339-45C0-49B8-875F-0746D2946F43.jpeg
0A27B67B-78C6-4B00-8027-479AA1416F9C.jpeg

Siiiiigh. That’s what we were afraid of. 😞 But thank you, everyone, for the quick responses!

We’d hoped maybe someone here on the forum would say that Jubilee hens just look a whole lot like roosters but really they aren’t… but we weren’t expecting that wishful thinking to actually pan out. 🤷‍♀️

I’ll take a day or two to reach out to some folks outside the city limits who might want to keep a rooster with their flock, but if he’s destined for someone’s dinner table, we might as well do that ourselves. Stupid 50/50 odds! 😝

Siiiiigh. That’s what we were afraid of. 😞 But thank you, everyone, for the quick responses!

We’d hoped maybe someone here on the forum would say that Jubilee hens just look a whole lot like roosters but really they aren’t… but we weren’t expecting that wishful thinking to actually pan out. 🤷‍♀️

I’ll take a day or two to reach out to some folks outside the city limits who might want to keep a rooster with their flock, but if he’s destined for someone’s dinner table, we might as well do that ourselves. Stupid 50/50 odds! 😝
He's pretty enough that he'll find a home. Put him on Craigslist.

Put him on Craigslist.

I’m going to ask coworkers & the hatchery.

We thought about Craigslist, but honestly we just don’t want to deal with Craigslist randos (vetting that they really will keep him as a “pet”, that they know how to raise chickens in good conditions, that they’ll actually show up when they say they will, etc). Especially since he’s already crowing.

I’m going to ask coworkers & the hatchery.

We thought about Craigslist, but honestly we just don’t want to deal with Craigslist randos (vetting that they really will keep him as a “pet”, that they know how to raise chickens in good conditions, that they’ll actually show up when they say they will, etc). Especially since he’s already crowing.
That's cool too. I have always had my best luck with CL so thought I'd suggest it. I actually have one family that still (2 years later) sends me pics and updates.

Back
Top Bottom