1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is Peroxide Bad?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chsfairy2007, Apr 28, 2009.

1. chsfairy2007

chsfairy2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    TN
    Okay, the other day I was working on a landscaping job with my boss, and co-worker. I forget how the conversation began, but it ended with my boss repeating what a vet had told her. According to this vet, recent studies have shown that peroxide damages more tissue than it heals. Instead, a person should use neosporin, and ... uh, beta-something (I can't remember) together on a wound.

I've always thought peroxide was magic! I've used it on my chickens for years. It works great on most any kind of open wounds, especially those given by predators. One day, I discovered a hen with a big bite out of her back. I poured some peroxide on it daily, and it was soon completely healed. I even use the stuff on myself!
    However, I'm no vet. Should I really not use peroxide on myself or my hens? [​IMG]

Thanks in advance,

Katie

2. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    i've been told to only use it on wounds that are scabbed over, because it can kill the new skin cells. im not sure thou..

3. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Is it betadine?

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Peroxide kills everything, very much like bleach. Alcohol is
    gentler which is why they use it for injection sites.

5. chickenhick

chickenhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    I have heard that peroxide is very irritating to healing tissues....I use neosporin without the pain killer.....

6. chsfairy2007

chsfairy2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    TN
    Betadine is it, Andy123. Thanks for that.

Okay, so I've been wrong about peroxide. I'll use what you all and the vet have mentioned. I feel like a bad mom, but no one ever told me until just recently. [​IMG]

Thanks a lot!

Katie

7. chickenhick

chickenhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Hey if you are around my age (45ish) we were raised to think peroxide was the cure all. We poured it all over everything! I never knew it wasn't the cure all until recently!!!!! [​IMG]

8. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Hydrogen peroxide would work really well as the first step to initially clean a wound, but I would rinse it off. We don't use it in the hospital anymore at all on wounds. Betadine would be better or any antibiotic ointment.

Someone mentioned alcohol, but I would not use this on a wound, only on intact skin because it's going to burn like hell and probably do some damage.

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Peroxide might not be the recommended for wounds anymore, but if you have a stain.......buddy, peroxide is the best thing in the world. Gets out all kinds of stains easy - especially protein stains like blood and poop. And it doesn't bleach the fabric.

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I think peroxide is still recommended to clean new puncture wounds with at first. After that it's saline solution.
    H2O2 oxidizes everything. Oxidation is the same thing that turns iron to rust. It really is hard on skin tissue.

I use saline solution for everything. I put a bottle of salt in my first aid kit. I think it's a cure-all. (would you like to see pictures of all the scars of stuff I've cured with it? [​IMG] hehehehe ) Currently treating my cat to saline water washes because of a puncture wound on his back leg - not fun I tell ya!!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by