Is Peroxide Bad?

chsfairy2007

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
TN
Okay, the other day I was working on a landscaping job with my boss, and co-worker. I forget how the conversation began, but it ended with my boss repeating what a vet had told her. According to this vet, recent studies have shown that peroxide damages more tissue than it heals. Instead, a person should use neosporin, and ... uh, beta-something (I can't remember) together on a wound.

I've always thought peroxide was magic! I've used it on my chickens for years. It works great on most any kind of open wounds, especially those given by predators. One day, I discovered a hen with a big bite out of her back. I poured some peroxide on it daily, and it was soon completely healed. I even use the stuff on myself!
However, I'm no vet. Should I really not use peroxide on myself or my hens?
idunno.gif

Thanks in advance,

Katie

Betadine is it, Andy123. Thanks for that.

Okay, so I've been wrong about peroxide. I'll use what you all and the vet have mentioned. I feel like a bad mom, but no one ever told me until just recently.
hmm.png

Thanks a lot!

Katie

Hey if you are around my age (45ish) we were raised to think peroxide was the cure all. We poured it all over everything! I never knew it wasn't the cure all until recently!!!!!
barnie.gif

Hydrogen peroxide would work really well as the first step to initially clean a wound, but I would rinse it off. We don't use it in the hospital anymore at all on wounds. Betadine would be better or any antibiotic ointment.

Someone mentioned alcohol, but I would not use this on a wound, only on intact skin because it's going to burn like hell and probably do some damage.

Peroxide might not be the recommended for wounds anymore, but if you have a stain.......buddy, peroxide is the best thing in the world. Gets out all kinds of stains easy - especially protein stains like blood and poop. And it doesn't bleach the fabric.

I think peroxide is still recommended to clean new puncture wounds with at first. After that it's saline solution.
H2O2 oxidizes everything. Oxidation is the same thing that turns iron to rust. It really is hard on skin tissue.

I use saline solution for everything. I put a bottle of salt in my first aid kit. I think it's a cure-all. (would you like to see pictures of all the scars of stuff I've cured with it?
wink.png
hehehehe ) Currently treating my cat to saline water washes because of a puncture wound on his back leg - not fun I tell ya!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom