Is pullet getting ready to lay?

Thank you Kerrysmommy. LOL

Yes, I put the fake eggs in the boxes when they were 16 weeks old. Yesterday was the 1st time that one of the girls actually dug a hole in the nesting box. I did have the nesting boxes on the north side and one on the ground on the east side and that was the one she was in. So I figured I would mount 2 boxes on the east side of the coop. I also have a total of seven boxes in the coop. Thank you so much for all the responses.

fart egg...ha...one night I was feeding mine...watching them, one walked by, stopped in front of me, out popped an egg...she looked at it, and walked on!

One of mine practiced in the nest box for almost a week before she laid her first egg. Your girl is definitely getting ready, and the shavings on the back is her way of making the perfect little nest. We use pine shavings in our boxes and the girls seem to really love them. Some make a nice nest and sit there for a while, and others go in, lay their egg and come right back out. They are a fascinating bunch of creatures. I will cross my fingers that you get that first egg soon!

I really don't think protein has anything to do with hardness of the shell, that comes from calcium. Protein does help them lay more eggs, to a point. No hen will lay more than she is genetically predisposed to lay. A purebred Cornish will never lay like a leghorn or production red no matter how much protein you give her.
Sometimes soft shells are just because they're babies but if it continues make sure they have easy acess to oyster shell grit or crushed egg shells. ( I give both, actually pigeon grit, which has other minerals instead of plain oyster shell).

i have two near ish lay

they have not got really red combs yet but love to squatt and have learned to talk alot recently. they have a nest box but all they like to do is empty it! i fill it with hay and shavings with an egg on top and they empty it with in 20 seconds !

Thank you all very much. I have very exciting news. My girl Lady (red rock) gave me her 1st egg yesterday. I was so excited. It was a beautiful egg and It was perfect. I am very proud of her.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
Then when I came home today...... Surprise........I found 2 more eggs (the other one was from lily red rock) She was off by herself this morning before I left the house.........I am loving life:D
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to put pictures on here. When I learn how, I will definitely be putting them up.
big_smile.png
Again, Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom