Is pullet getting ready to lay?

bloom chicks

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
FL
HI this is my 1st post, I have 14 pullets and 2 roosters. My chickens are 23 and 24 weeks old. I have buff orps, BR, RIR and Red rocks (24 weekers). None of them are laying eggs yet. Yesterday, I went out to check on my chickens and one was missing the 24 week old red rock, I went looking for her and she was in the nesting box. I was so excited because I thought she was going to lay her 1st egg. She was in there for a while, she came out and put pine shaving on her back ( is that normal?). She also drank a lot of water. She came out of the coop and we went in to see if she laid an egg. NO egg.
sad.png
Her comb and waddles are really red and big and have been for a couple of weeks. I kept her in the coop a few days ago to see if she is laying but no egg. Her pelvic bone is only 2 fingers wide. Her vent looks big to me. She is also doing the egg song. I go out to see her and NO egg. Any suggestions.... Thank you in advance!

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

you are getting close... but try not to disturb them to much in the beginning... mine started to hide the eggs till i backed off...then they used the nests again... and dont be surprised if the egg is shell less and its just a membrane thats normal for first time layers

Quote:
they do that when they dust bathe....

you may want to add straw to the nests instead of shavings..

frow.gif
She's putting shavings on her back to dress for the event. No, really, some pullets do that as way to make a nest. Mine used to spend hours working a nest:

57171_img_6819.jpg

57171_img_6816.jpg

57171_img_6827.jpg

first
welcome-byc.gif

second getting really close to the time they start to lay
wee.gif
dont bother them as much and don't be scared that anything is wrong with your birds if you get a soft shell you can boost up your protein for them or it could have been a fart egg

hope this helps

LOL, What is a fart egg?

Thank you so much. I love the pictures. I will try the straw in their boxes. When we were watching her we were far away from the coop. They are also free range.

I also forgot to ask, does it matter which side of the coop the nesting boxes are on? North, south, east or west. Again, Thank you so much.

I have nest boxes on all side of the coop and have the roost, and mine are about the same age but no eggs. I have been hearing the song but only for about a week if that. My rooster just started doing his thing about a week ago to, I don't know if that means anything or not. Some of mine are just starting to get red combs and wattles except my two black australorps, they are bright red and big. I put a golf ball in there someone said it might trick them into laying. They buried last night but nothing.

The golf ball is just to show them where to lay the egg, when they are ready. It won't trick them into laying an egg. My girls practiced for a week or so before any eggs appeared.

Back
Top Bottom