Is pullet getting ready to lay?

CONGRATULATIONS
ya.gif
ya.gif

enjoy your eggs

Last edited:
That is Awesome. Congratulations!

I have a question. My started laying on Monday. I had one egg on Monday and two eggs yesterday and NONE today. Could they decide to hide them now? They were laying them in the nesting box.

It's not uncommon for them to be a bit sporadic with egg laying at first, so I wouldn't worry too much if they miss a day here and there.

I'm a bit late coming into this tread, but wanted to add my thoughts on the behaviours you asked about: putting straw on her back, practising her egg song, and shuffling around digging a hole in the nest. When a pregnant woman gets within a week or two of birthing she often starts "nesting", which is things like getting house ready, getting her birthing/labouring space comfortable etc. It's an instinctual thing, and it's called nesting because it's just what birds do when they're getting their nest ready to lay their eggs. It doesn't mean that the eggs/babies will arrive very day, but as you found out, it's usually a sign they are close.

Those first eggs are so precious, and I still feel the excitement whenever I collect eggs even after 6 months.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom