Is raising chicks in the Fall not ideal?

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
I am forced to give away / sell my Chocolate Orpington roo. He is a VERY loud rooster!! However, he was supposed to be my foundation rooster for my Orpington project. I hatched out some Chocolate Orpington pullets this spring, but they aren't old enough to be laying eggs yet. I figure if I can just keep him around long enough to fertilize some of their eggs I could keep one of his offspring to be my flock rooster. However as I said, the pullets won't be laying until late this fall. I raised some bantams in the fall 2 years ago in my shed, but they weren't very healthy, didn't thrive, and only several made it to adulthood. They could never play out in the grass and instead spent their rather bleak lives in a brooder :( By the time it was spring they were all grown up but I felt bad they missed out on 'chick-hood". Is there a way to raise happy, healthy chicks in the fall? I have a plastic shed with some ventilation and a space heater, as well as the heat lamp. Thanks.

Well, one digestion if noise is your only problem, get a no crow rooster collar. But if your heart is set with parting with him, Mane make a large brooder, and plant grass in it, you would probably have to care for it really well though. I wouldn't recommend raising chicks in the fall, but you certainly can try.

IMO it’s good. Pullets hatched Sept/Oct will start laying when March comes around. I’ve had chicks in autumn and never had an issue with their health. I treated them like any other chicks. There’s plenty of ways to enrich their lives from treats, dirt, mirrors and handling. I love grass boxes, you make a wooden box and put mesh over the top then they can peck at the grass growing through.

I am forced to give away / sell my Chocolate Orpington roo. He is a VERY loud rooster!! However, he was supposed to be my foundation rooster for my Orpington project. I hatched out some Chocolate Orpington pullets this spring, but they aren't old enough to be laying eggs yet. I figure if I can just keep him around long enough to fertilize some of their eggs I could keep one of his offspring to be my flock rooster. However as I said, the pullets won't be laying until late this fall. I raised some bantams in the fall 2 years ago in my shed, but they weren't very healthy, didn't thrive, and only several made it to adulthood. They could never play out in the grass and instead spent their rather bleak lives in a brooder :( By the time it was spring they were all grown up but I felt bad they missed out on 'chick-hood". Is there a way to raise happy, healthy chicks in the fall? I have a plastic shed with some ventilation and a space heater, as well as the heat lamp. Thanks.
Where do you live, and what is your worry with Fall?

I've had chicks in the fall I have a large brooder and I like to plant grass in one end and have a devider so when they get big enough you just open then divider in the morning and lock them in the other side at night its like they are being let in and out of the coop this is my brooder its empty now but it works its an old shipping crate

Attachments

• 15949224832074449930125881193563.jpg
    15949224832074449930125881193563.jpg
    794.7 KB · Views: 7
I think location plays a part, but I've done fall chicks in the north where we often had snow before Halloween and also down here at the bottom of the humid and muggy mid-atlantic region. Both have worked just fine. Up north I never had a problem putting young chickens out for good without heat going into winter once they are fully feathered, even when overnight temps got down to the mid 30s at the time.

Here, I got a batch of chicks in Sept and had them outside in Oct and got their first eggs late Jan.

edit:typo

Last edited:
I've had chicks in the fall I have a large brooder and I like to plant grass in one end and have a devider so when they get big enough you just open then divider in the morning and lock them in the other side at night its like they are being let in and out of the coop this is my brooder its empty now but it works its an old shipping crate
Can you take some more photos of this setup on all four sides please? It's got me thinking about a future project.

I think location plays a part, but I've done fall chicks in the north where we often had snow before Halloween and also down here at the bottom of the humid and muggy mid-atlantic region. Both have worked just fine. Up north I never had a problem putting young chickens out for good without heat going into winter once they are fully feathered, even when overnight temps got down to the mid 30s at the time.

Here, I got a batch of batch of chicks in Sept and had them outside in Oct and got their first eggs late Jan.
I live in Northern Ohio and have raised fall chick's it takes more work but well worth it

Back
Top Bottom