Orpingtons

Crazy_Beautiful

Songster
Nov 12, 2021
South Central Ontario
Just hatched out some Orpingtons. I got the eggs from someone who had a lavender and chocolate roo covering lavender, splash, blue and chocolate hens (if I’m remembering correctly on the hens) so she told me to expect lavender, blue or chocolate chicks.

I had 8 hatch. 4 lavender, 2 chocolate. 1 blue and a mystery.

And mystery chick is also missing a toe.

For my breeding plans my thought i’d have the blue and mystery for pets only (I have a separate kid pet coop) and have the chocolate and lavenders in with my lavender Roo… make sense?

Next spring I’m planning on getting some black Orpington hatching eggs.

Any thought on the missing toe? Chick was app yesterday but much better today learning how to balance. Kids named this chick Nemo.

IMG_0427.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0429.jpeg
    IMG_0429.jpeg
    582.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I would keep an eye out for a toe-picker chick. I had one of those. He grew out of it, but he was always pulling toes of the other chicks and broke the end off of one chick's.

If you know for a fact it hatched that way, then it's a deformity. At least it sounds like the chick is adapting!
We have a chick that does seem to be a picker but I do honestly feel like it may be a deformity. We noticed it as soon as we moved them from the brooder.

We have a chick that does seem to be a picker but I do honestly feel like it may be a deformity. We noticed it as soon as we moved them from the brooder.
Okay. I'd watch that one though as I just highly suspect it since going through it myself.

Could you ask if the one who you got the eggs from if they've ever seen that before? Just saying in case it is a deformity, and you have any plans of raising your own chicks, I'd not let Nemo be a part of that.

Very cute chicks! So if I'm understanding correctly, they had a chocolate and a lavender roo over the various colored hens? The only problem with using these chicks for breeding is that some of those chicks colors could come from either pairing of the roos over different hens. So without test breeding, you're going to end up with chicks that are visually one color but are split to another color. Some folks may not care, but for me (I have a small breeding flock of English Orpingtons) I'd be quite upset if I bought a lavender hen that hatched out lavender and black chicks because she was split. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Very cute chicks! So if I'm understanding correctly, they had a chocolate and a lavender roo over the various colored hens? The only problem with using these chicks for breeding is that some of those chicks colors could come from either pairing of the roos over different hens. So without test breeding, you're going to end up with chicks that are visually one color but are split to another color. Some folks may not care, but for me (I have a small breeding flock of English Orpingtons) I'd be quite upset if I bought a lavender hen that hatched out lavender and black chicks because she was split. I hope that makes sense.
Yes this makes sense. I would let people know that they’d be split.

I have a few lavender hens and they’re feathering isn’t great so I was wanting to add in a black / brown to help with the feathers.

I’ve been specifically searching for split black but the only lady selling them wants $25 a day old or $65 for a pullet which is too steep for me.

Okay. I'd watch that one though as I just highly suspect it since going through it myself.

Could you ask if the one who you got the eggs from if they've ever seen that before? Just saying in case it is a deformity, and you have any plans of raising your own chicks, I'd not let Nemo be a part of that.
Yes Nemo will be put in our pet coop. My 3 kids are dotting on her she’s so spoiled already at a day old

I have a few lavender hens and they’re feathering isn’t great so I was wanting to add in a black / brown to help with the feathers.

I’ve been specifically searching for split black but the only lady selling them wants $25 a day old or $65 for a pullet which is too steep for me.
OMG! That is highway robbery!

I have 6 fancier silkie chicks 4 months old I'm going to breed in the spring. The chocolate silkie roo and black silkie hen will make chocolate pullets and black roos split to chocolate. I was thinking of selling the pullets for $20 and the roos for $5.

I'll get some blues and splashes and chocolate straight runs, and those I'll probably just go $10 on. Here's a couple of them. I need new pictures. I'm so happy to have them as all I've ever had is backyard silkie which are fine, but these are so much cooler! They were $15 as chicks from a breeder I found about an hour away.
365823833_999143397901168_5672403116326020090_n.jpg 9-9-23 1.jpg

That is insane! I can't imagine she sells many birds. I think my birds are pretty high quality, and I sell chicks for $5, pullets (6-8 weeks for $15) Not the best pic of my lavender, she's 21 weeks old.

Attachments

• 20230915_175857.jpg
    20230915_175857.jpg
    581.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230719_172724.jpg
    20230719_172724.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221122_162403.jpg
    20221122_162403.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221110_155340.jpg
    20221110_155340.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 8
OMG! That is highway robbery!

I have 6 fancier silkie chicks 4 months old I'm going to breed in the spring. The chocolate silkie roo and black silkie hen will make chocolate pullets and black roos split to chocolate. I was thinking of selling the pullets for $20 and the roos for $5.

I'll get some blues and splashes and chocolate straight runs, and those I'll probably just go $10 on. Here's a couple of them. I need new pictures. I'm so happy to have them as all I've ever had is backyard silkie which are fine, but these are so much cooler! They were $15 as chicks from a breeder I found about an hour away.
View attachment 3640118View attachment 3640112
I hear you on the price.
Even the hatching eggs are $50 a dozen and shipping was $75… this is all CAD.

Back
Top Bottom