Is rebar good to use?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by John and Tiffany, Jan 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I am on a construction site and have access to a bunch of old rebar. Some is bent some is straight. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could use that in a coop? I don't want to haul crap home and never use it and right now I have no ideas.

2. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    image.jpeg I used it to anchor the bottom of a chain link fence (actually in this instance to keep my dogs in, but you could use the same principle to keep larger predators from digging under) if you have a way to cut it and space it closely enough. It's pretty easy to pound it into the ground.

tigger19687 and chickencheeper like this.
  3. Ok good thought. Thanks!

4. Sunshine Flock

Sunshine Flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 27, 2017
    I'm making a small path at the front of the chicken coop, that leads to the door. Old rebar I dug up on our property and saved will hold some old lumber upright on either side. In between is small rock. The pressure of the rock on one side and the rebar that secures the wood creates a strong support.

5. jthornton

jthornton Overrun With Chickens

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    Not if you live in the Ozark foothills lol...

JT

6. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Chillin' With My Peeps

Aint that the truth !

Rebar can be used for a million things .... I'm about half a hoarder so free rebar gets loaded and carried Home no questions asked

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've used it for staking things.......in the chicken run, staking vertically placed pavers in place near the door threshold so they don't dig out underneath it.

Rebar can be handy....if you can cut it to the appropriate length.
    Angle grinder with cut off disc works for me......hack saw would work too.

tigger19687 and Mr Pink like this.
  8. tigger19687

tigger19687 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wish I could hoard rebar, The longer the better !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by