Is rooster meat tough?

MaLoTu

Chirping
Mar 28, 2015
I see some people eat their roosters or order, at a discount, chicks that end up being roosters for to eat. Is their meat different from a hens?

I may have a BO that is a rooster and living in the city there really isn't many options to give him away. Just wondering what eating it might be like ...
hmm.png

You can eat any bird - the age of the bird impacts the meat qualities and determines the best approach to preparing the meat to come out to an appetizing result. How old is your bird?

The bird is about 5 weeks old. I am not 100% sure it is a roo yet, but it definitely has what looks like the start of wattles under the beak. The tail is also short and stumpy compared to the 3 other BO, I heard that is also an indication of a rooster early on.

If you process him around 4-5 months, he will be different than a grocery store chicken. Those birds are only 8 weeks, so the meat is very tender with little texture. Your bird will be fine for any moist cooking method. Crock pot, baked in a little liquid, simmered and the meat pulled for sandwiches, casseroles, soup, etc.

If you process him around 4-5 months, he will be different than a grocery store chicken. Those birds are only 8 weeks, so the meat is very tender with little texture. Your bird will be fine for any moist cooking method. Crock pot, baked in a little liquid, simmered and the meat pulled for sandwiches, casseroles, soup, etc.

On the matter of gender, if you take and post photos of the bird we can help you with confirming your suspicions.

The wattle area is much more pronounced than the others and the tail is much shorter ... but, like you said it is hard to tell! I am just thinking ahead. None of the refuges or historical parks in the area want another rooster. I am pretty sure that anyone who took a rooster off my hands would just butcher it anyway.

That second picture is so hilarious! I had to laugh when I seen it.

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom