Is She a She? Our Coturnix Quail

Quote:
Thank you for the info. They're both very sweet birds and very gentle. I'm sure I will enjoy them. I have an outside aviary with English parakeets and canaries in one and the other has finches in it. The female finch (zebra) hatches one grey like her and her mate and the rest are all white so I have five white males and only two grey females. I have two fledglings this time that didn't breed to form. Both are grey with white patches on them. They're really pretty. We live in the Mojave Desert and CA Quail run all over the place. I see 20-30 every time I drive down the road. I liked them so much I decided to buy these two for fun. I plan on reading up on them and learning all I can.

Our Tuxedo Hen started to lay exactly on her 6 week mark. We put her in with our main Breeder Male (Gizomo) and he is in Love with her. He actually lost his mate a few weeks ago and has been Heart broken ever since. He would actually wimper and call for her. it made me feel Terrible! but when the tux started to lay thats when we knew he would be happy now he is very protective over her. His mate (Wendy) passed away suddenly and I have NO idea what happend. She was fine when I checked on them late at night and early in the morning she was just laying there. He laid beside her and just kept calling to her. almost like he was praying for her to get up. I still feel terrible! Gizmo and Wendy were our First pair. and Were our main breeders. Now its just our stud man Himself Gizmo blessing us, so we are line breeding 2 of his daughters back to him.

We also have Button Quail and they are wonderful to have also!

It's surprising how animals relate to a lost mate and it makes me mad when they're called "dumb animals" When I first got my two I had sectioned off a part of the chicken coop where I had some young pullets. I thought they were protected but some how one of the 6 week old pullets got in with the quail and tore the heck out of the female. I brought both into the house and put them in an aquarium I use for sick birds or raising baby's. I cleaned her up real good and sprayed her with Blue Kote. I really didn't think she'd make it but she must be tough because she's up and around just fine now. The first couple of days she slept all the time. The other one stayed close and even rushed me as I approached the aquarium. He's never bothered me when I go to change water and food though. I'm almost finished with the new pen and when it's done I can move them into it.

Thats how Gizmo is now. Anytime I put my hand in the cage he fluffs up and rushes me. I think he is afraid that I am going to take his new girl. They are VERY smart! I actually raised a couple of Coturnix quail with a few of my Silkie Chicks and they just loved it. They still look for the chickens when I let them out. lol My Coturnix know that when they are scared or startled they come to me. My Brothers GF actually said she was amazed how smart my chickens and quail were. They are wonderful pets! I love them to death!

She will be laying in a few weeks, she is almost 6 weeks old. but I want her head to heal and everything before I put her back in with the male.

Update:

She is doing ALOT better! She is healing Really Nice!! I'm glad. It would be sad to lose her, she is a really nice color Cinnamon. So she will be bred to a Golden male.

Back
Top Bottom