Is she a white leghorn....?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by farmerjon1988, Jan 1, 2011.

1. farmerjon1988

farmerjon1988 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    birmingham uk
    Hi all,

I was hoping someone would know if 'Pearl' is a white leghorn bantam [​IMG]
    When we brought her we was told she was a white leghorn, recently we found out she is a bantam and today was told that she may not be a white leghorn bantam at all :|

Please note that isnt any dark flecking lol its just a bit of mud [​IMG] She is completely white

Here she is.....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also if anyone knows how old she might be could you please let us know [​IMG] we havent had any eggs yet so its hard to tell

Many thanks

2. Loving My Peeps

Loving My Peeps Chicken Whisperer

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    My white leghorns have yellow legs, much larger combs, but very similar body shape.

3. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    looks like a leghorn, my white leghorns dont have yellow legs. now, mine are hatchery quality, not show quality. My leghorns have much larger white ears, but she could be real young since her comb is small. You will know for sure if she develops a large flopped over comb. looks like the right body type though!

oh and leghorns are not as big as some of the standard breeds. My leghorns are slightly bigger than my bantams and smaller than my barred rocks and wyandottes

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    white leghorns have white earlobes, hers are very red. She also looks alittle too thick for a legorn. I'm thinking white rock.

5. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    or maybe white maran, her legs look pink. [​IMG]

6. shandiane78

shandiane78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    White orpington??

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Bingo.

It doesn't matter if a bird is hatchery vs show quality, leg color should still be the same, otherwise it is not the same breed. And still, the bird doesn't have white earlobes either to be a Leghorn.

8. farmerjon1988

farmerjon1988 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    birmingham uk
    thankyou for all your replies [​IMG]

after looking at pictures of White orpingtons on google, i think she looks most like one although her bum isnt as big [​IMG] [​IMG]

one of our chickens has been laying rougly every day and a half, we assumed it was our sussex silkie cross but could it be this one instead? i thought she was a leghorn so i was looking our for white eggs from here but these are the eggs we have been getting..........

[​IMG]

i am confused lol

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Those eggs are hers.

Her bum isn't as big because she's hatchery quality, meaning she'll never be as big, heavy, or fluffy as a more "true" type Orpington.

10. Loving My Peeps

Loving My Peeps Chicken Whisperer

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    That looks like an orpington egg to me.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by