Why is my rooster so big?

Blevins_55

Hatching
Dec 12, 2023
Hi, so i have this rooster i got about 8-9 months ago as a chick from tractor supply, he was listed as a White LegHorn. He's way above his weight for his breed weighing in at 21.6 lbs, i need yalls help, any ideas as to why he his so big? From what i see its more muscle and not fat. He gets the same brand of feed as all of my other birds and non of them are this big. I did talk with my ag advisor and she talked with someone from Texas A&M University and they believe he is just a mix of breeds but do yall have any other suggestions??

Attachments

• bullseye.jpeg
    bullseye.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
Welcome!
So sorry, he's a Cornishx meat bird, amazingly huge, and still alive, also amazing. His joints and/or heart are carrying a very heavy load, seldom can these birds make it this long. Consider having a chicken dinner, or be ready to end his life when he is in failing health.
Sadly, the feed store chick bins often have mislabeled chicks, it's best to know what the chicks of breeds you are planning to buy actually look like. White Leghorn and Cornishx chicks are the same color, but do look different if you are aware of the differences.
Mary
He is really impressive!

Back
Top Bottom