What breed is she?

• Ameraucana

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Easter Egger

Votes: 19 86.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Did you mean "not" an Ameraucana? ;)

Also, even the Silvers don't look like that as chicks. Yes, they're a chipmunk pattern, but not like that.
Yes, edited that. I am barely awake lol. And yes, I agree, the silvers look different although they vary a bit. But the early wing feathers wouldn't have that brownish tinge. This chick looks like a typical easter egger with coloring more or less like a brown Leghorn.

Yes, edited that. I am barely awake lol. And yes, I agree, the silvers look different although they vary a bit. But the early wing feathers wouldn't have that brownish tinge. This chick looks like a typical easter egger with coloring more or less like a brown Leghorn.
Definitely agree. Now, maybe time to go get some coffee? ;) Lol.

Often hatcheries label chicks 'Ameraucana" when they are Easter Eggers. It's bad practice on their part, at least!
EEs tend to be much better egg layers than the purebreds, although their egg colors will vary. Much more interesting! I've had both, and for egg laying ability, prefer EEs. She will be beautiful!
Mary
It's not just hatcheries. Craigslist is littered with people selling easter eggers as Ameraucanas and even some otherwise reputable breeders will do it, too. Why easter eggers get such a bad rap is beyond me. They are great birds, great layers and it's a lot of fun to have mixed colors. You can't show them but most buyers aren't going to be doing that anyway.

Mines an Easter egger/americauna supposedlynot a recognized breed they all lay colored eggs with ear muffs. I purchased mine as an americauna from tractor supply store. In pic shrs next to my barred rock i purchased also from same place o same day..

Attachments

• 20171017_145047.jpg
    20171017_145047.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2017-11-14-12-41-55.png
    Screenshot_2017-11-14-12-41-55.png
    178.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20171102_162332.jpg
    20171102_162332.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 10
Some people call them easter eggers olive layers ot Americans. they derived from the araucana, .hence the colored eggs but araucanas are much more expensive with way brighter prettier colored eggs, so an americana is kind of a downgrade mixed with araucanas down line that carry colored egg gene and the hens carry little puffs ear muffs by cheeks, however, im unsure i dont think the Americana roo always has little puffballs on his face?all hens I've seen eastereggers have little ear muffs/ puffs but not two ee roosters i have seen did not have them. Interesting but off topic

Back
Top Bottom