Is she broody and what do i do?

AlliJackson

Chirping
May 4, 2021
Chattanooga, TN
Hi! I am new to being a chicken owner. I currently have 1 cochin hen (shes the only one that survived out of the 3 I started out with) and I have 4 easter Egger pullets that will be moved out to the coop this week. My cochin hen is about 1 year old and had been laying 4-5 eggs per week, and suddenly stopped. She stays in her nesting box all day and makes a constant noise like she is barking (for lack of a better description). I pick her up and bring her out to the run and she walks around and eats and drinks and sometimes rolls in a dirt bath and then returns to her nesting box and doesnt get back out. Is she broody? She hasn't laid in over a week and there are absolutely no roosters. What do I do? The Easter egger pullets will move out to the coop with her this week, and I am hopeful it will help her.

She needs to be put in a bare cage elevated off the floor so air can flow under her until she stops trying to set. Of course she needs feed and water in there but nothing else she might be able to make a nest out of, no bedding.

She needs to be put in a bare cage elevated off the floor so air can flow under her until she stops trying to set. Of course she needs feed and water in there but nothing else she might be able to make a nest out of, no bedding.
Thank you! How long would you recommend putting her in a cage? She is the only adult hen right now and there are no roosters at all so she is not even sitting on any eggs. I am also trying to introduce 4 pullets (10 weeks old)

Thank you! How long would you recommend putting her in a cage? She is the only adult hen right now and there are no roosters at all so she is not even sitting on any eggs. I am also trying to introduce 4 pullets (10 weeks old)
I had to leave my broody in the cage for 72 hours. She also was not sitting in any eggs, just 2 gold balls. They also dont care if there arent any roosters. You need to elevate the cage off of the ground where the wire is open in the bottom to allow air flow. She may break easily or be like my hen who threw an epic temper tantrum and screamed at me. Make sure to tie down her food and water because she will most likley be pissed and take her anger out on the poor bowls.

We have a Jersey Giant that is turning out to be a regular brooder. If I don't allow her to go to the nesting box at all during the day, she'll normally break in 3 days. If that didn't work, I was doing the elevated separate cage thing.

Back
Top Bottom