Is she constipated

TheTwoRoos

Crowing
Sep 25, 2015
I have a aby chick who is quite younger and smaller then the others.She also is more quite and seems lethargic sometimes.

Here's the real question, ,I had tooken care of her serious bad,bad,bad case of pasty butt .Once i was done unclogging her butt, she pooped tons,but it hurts her.And she squeezesas hard as she can screaming for help.She hasnt been pooping long poops,just round,liquidy types.Any idea,and if she is constipated, whacan i do for her.t

If this chick isn't active like the others, it may have a condition called "failure to thrive" (FTT). Often the chick with FTT has diarrhea, or it can be constipated. Yours appears to have borderline diarrhea. There isn't much that can be done for a chick with FTT since the problems are genetic, and these chicks usually die, or if they survive, they are undersized and have others problems.

Another reason the chick may have diarrhea be acting sick is because it may have been infected with coccidiosis. Even feeding medicated feed, which has a mild preventative medicine in it for cocci, some chicks still get it. Usually, though, you will see signs of blood in the stool. If you suspect cocci, the treatment is very safe and easy, but you need to go buy some amprolium which is sold in the US as Corid. You should mix it in water and give it to all the chicks for five days.

It sounds like FTT, though, and not cocci.

I think i'd rather FTT.Well i would rather him be just normal,but that may not happen.She does run around plays,she just is so younger then the others.In fact she is fiesty and can defend herself against the rest.

This little chick sounds just like a chick I had last summer. It was painful for us both when she would try to poop because she would scream in pain each time she squatted. She didn't grow, except for her wings, which overtook her tiny body, becoming much longer than she was. She looked like a fly instead of a chick.

I treated her for cocci, and that didn't help. I treated her for constipation, and that didn't help. She peeped non-stop. I knew she was in a lot of pain. At one point, she greeted me one morning all feisty-like, and I thought she had turned a corner during the night and might make it, but she got worse, and each day she got even worse.

By the end of her first week, she just laid there, not eating or even standing or walking. I euthanized her to stop the pain, hers and mine. I had other chicks in a brooder outside, and this chick was the only one I had named so far. Sunny. She was my first experience with a FTT chick. It's just heart breaking.

Try smoothing coconut oil on your chick's vent. It might help it be less painful when she has to poop. Have you tried vitamin drops like Poultry Nutridrench or Poly-vi-sol? If your chick is eating and drinking, there's hope for her, but I think she probably has genetic abnormalities that cause internal problems, and there may be something wrong inside making it hard to poop. You could try some mineral oil and see if it helps. Put a little in a tiny cup and hold it under her beak for her to sip. If she won't, take an eye dropper and squeeze the oil just into the side of her beak, not down her throat or she could aspirate it. If she had really bad pasty butt, she could still be plugged up on the inside.

Also, try squeezing a little mineral oil inside her vent, careful not to go too far. if she's plugged up, it could help to loosen things from the bottom end.

Yeah so far her wings are the only thing growing on her.She is so sweet.She likes being held.I put garlic in herw ater.The chick chick suggested it.

Most of her symptoms still point to FTT. If she's not growing, other parts of her aren't functioning as well. You need to prepare yourself for possibly euthanizing her if she appears to be getting steadily worse, if you don't want to see her suffer.

Back
Top Bottom