Is She Dying?

BellaBlueBell

Songster
Apr 4, 2020
Central PA
I just brought home two white cochin bantams, about 5-6 weeks old. They both looked fine in the yard at the feed store. However, now one is just laying with her head down and closing her eyes off/on. The other is sitting beside her, quite alert. They are sitting on a towel in soft grass under a tree. It's a gorgeous warm day here. I've put water out for them, but no food as yet. Do you think she is ill? Is there anything I should do?

I just brought home two white cochin bantams, about 5-6 weeks old. They both looked fine in the yard at the feed store. However, now one is just laying with her head down and closing her eyes off/on. The other is sitting beside her, quite alert. They are sitting on a towel in soft grass under a tree. It's a gorgeous warm day here. I've put water out for them, but no food as yet. Do you think she is ill? Is there anything I should do?
At that age they still need to be kept warm ( I think) bring them in and give them food and water. She is must likely dying because she has no warmth. or she ate something.
Hopefully some others will help soon.
sorry I don't know much, But that's all I can think of.

Could be sunbathing, could be sleeping. They can get in really strange positions when sleeping.

How long has this been? Does she jump up all alert and active when you disturb her?

I've had chicks that age go through temperatures below freezing with no supplemental heat. If it were cold it would be giving a plaintive peep, so heart rendering that you just know something is wrong.

She doesn't jump up, but does lift her head and open her eyes. Rather she seems like she can't walk well. They were both quite happy to get food and ate well, but she sort of laid into the feeder with her top half - I lifted her over to the feeder. I may try bathing her feet to see if there is anything going on - they look a little ragged.

It's 79 degrees here, so she really should not be cold.

They are sleeping on me right now. One is cooing.

Attachments

• Cochin Babies .jpg
    Cochin Babies .jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 11
If you touched her and she did not jump up and run there is something wrong with her. With her eating well I don't know what that could be.

I see that her eyes are closed but she does not look all fluffed up like I would have expected if it were coccidiosis. All I can think of to do is see that she eats and drinks.

Well, they are out there dust bathing now. Maybe it was just the long car ride and change. However, there are a few odd looking things - I'll keep watch and see what happens.
what odd looking things? if you let us know we might be able help you more.

Do you see the thing on the back of the chick on the left? It looks like the new feathering, but it also looks swollen. These girls were in a big run with larger hens - red and black sexlinks mostly. I'm wondering if she was getting pecked. She just doesn't seem as energetic as the other one. But she was digging a little to dust bathe, but not as much as the other one. And she seems to want to sit more. She's eating and drinking well, no cloudy or runny eyes. Her weight seems close to the other one.

Attachments

• Photo on 5-8-24 at 2.41 PM #3 2.jpg
    Photo on 5-8-24 at 2.41 PM #3 2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom