Is she FRIZZLING?! *3 Week Update Pg. 3!!*

Quote:
Well, they are on 21% chick starter, but they aren't outside...the temperature in the brooder is 90* and varies from 90* to 80*...so don't think it's the heat. They aren't allowed outside, so not the sunlight.

So...you really think it's a natural frizzle? Because I have never heard of anyone getting a frizzle in Langshans, ever! But believe me, I'd go up and kiss her right now if she is!
big_smile.png

ETA: The silkies and Cochin in the same brooder on the same feed aren't going through the feather-sticking up thing. Their feathers are still going in the normal way. Well, as normal as it can be for a silkie? The silkies were from a store...so nope! No chance of the Langshan being part silkie!
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, they are on 21% chick starter, but they aren't outside...the temperature in the brooder is 90* and varies from 90* to 80*...so don't think it's the heat. They aren't allowed outside, so not the sunlight.

So...you really think it's a natural frizzle? Because I have never heard of anyone getting a frizzle in Langshans, ever! But believe me, I'd go up and kiss her right now if she is!
big_smile.png

ETA: The silkies and Cochin in the same brooder on the same feed aren't going through the feather-sticking up thing. Their feathers are still going in the normal way. Well, as normal as it can be for a silkie? The silkies were from a store...so nope! No chance of the Langshan being part silkie!
wink.png

yeah, i thought about these. were just naming off somethings that also cause feathers to curl
wink.png
i think she's probably a natural frizzle... which will be interesting with the langshans

Hey, that's exactly what I"m looking for. Kind of a too-good-to-be-true type of thing. So I am looking for possible causes of it....if she winds up being a frizzle...that's just icing on the cake!
big_smile.png

Care if I ask another question??

She's got this little "double" tail thing going on. Literally, the feathers in question, you can tell one set are obviously her main tail feathers, but then there's some just in front of those that look like another tail??
LangshanChick005.jpg

Quote:
That's normal, they're just a bit more distinctive now, they're the feathers just over the pineal (sp) gland, it's soooo much too early to spell, They'll all blend together and curl up into a proper frizzle tail by another week or so. I love especially though, those curly shoulder feathers, like they're wearing wild military epaulettes, or psycho shoulder pads.

A natural frizzle langshan is a bit like winning the lottery isn't it? And BTW yours are the first Langshans I've ever seen that make me want Langshans OMG... Stop putting up those pictures, they're dangerous.

The local Langshan show pool here are flighty loud, closer feathered and unappealling, and just don't hold themselves like the pics I have seen of your birds. So shame on you stop that. You're amking me like them.

Take lots of pics it's fun to keep a record of it as it happens.

I can't!!! Darn it all! I'm addicted to them! LOL!

I got them originally to make Forrest see that not EVERYONE loved Langshans.

Epic fail on my part. The first cockerel confirmed my suspicions and attacked us every chance he got. He mysteriously died??? The second one is Clyde and OMG. It's like he KNOWS he has to make me love the breed! LOL!

He doesn't mind being held, doctored, prodded, poked, bathtime, blow-driers, oils, etc. He's the perfect show bird and I want his chicks to be just the same as him! LOL! The pullets are adorable, sweet, good-natured, love to be handled..and did I mention the feathers on their feet don't have to be as carefully groomed as Cochins?!

Oh....their also the best layers of the Asiatic class!
big_smile.png

Am I helping??? LOL
PoultryShows002.jpg

Since I obviously know nothing about frizzling, will she be as frizzled as a bred-for frizzle? Or will she be straighter than a bred-for frizzle? When I breed her to another straight-feathered bird, will they wind up frizzled?

I won the lottery! I won the lottery! I won the lottery!!!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Yes, you won the lottery.
smile.png

Since I don't know the genes behind your sport and I'm pretty new to all the frizzle, sizzle and frazzle thing. I think your curly is we'll see as to state of ultimate curliness but I haven't seen any indeterminent birds. Whether there is a median where they only sort of curl, that I have not seen. Maybe someone else has.

And yes you are totally failing at keeping me from ending up with Langshans, shame on you.

Move the cage a little closer to that outlet and you'll get the frizzle look that you are after. Probably won't get passed on to the next generation though.
big_smile.png

I just KNEW someone would do that...LOL!!!

It was at the poultry show. I hated the thing being so close to her, but I coudln't do anything else....on the bright side, I DID put newspaper over the outlet when I saw her getting interested. She was too interested in squatting for the cockerel...

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Seriously though that did bring up a good tip to put into the "things needed for the show" list. When we start to display our birds this fall I will bring some of those childproof outlet plugs because you never know where they are going to stick you for the show. I'd hate to see someone get too curious and possibly injure themselves.

Back
Top Bottom