is she show quaility

year of the rooster:
That hen is too light yes but she all so has a bad comb and the back should be flat...
Chris

Remember, 4-H is a learning experience, just like what us adults go through when we first start to show??

big_smile.png

Here is one of my roosters at 1 year old:

DSC_0146.jpg

This is one of my hens that is all so 1 year old.. The hen and rooster were taken from the breeding pen for this pics.

DSC_0155.jpg

Chris

4H is about showmanship and how he handles the bird. I would let him show the calmest bird, regardless of what it looks like. If you want to show conformation, then you need to start worrying about standards, etc. Now, most 4H shows HAVE conformation classes, but they are not required. Showmanship IS required.
Good luck!
smile.png

Love my chickies!! :

Showmanship IS required.
Good luck!
smile.png

Really??? I judge 4H and FFA shows. I have never judged based on showmanship except for those who WANT to enter in the showmanship classes.​

Quote:
Really??? I judge 4H and FFA shows. I have never judged based on showmanship except for those who WANT to enter in the showmanship classes.

Ok, perhaps I should qualify what I said by saying that showmanship is required HERE. I assumed it was the same for everywhere....my mistake. OP should call their local 4H office, and find out for sure what the rules are for their area.

Thanks for calling me out!! You learn something new everyday!!
ya.gif

LOL, i went on site. I think he will just showmy BR and learn the ropes! I am trying to get him into a program in Lakeland. his mom is a slacker, brother does football and Marcus is just left standing......He loves animals and i feel it would be great for him!

I am a 4-H member involved in a poultry club and other related activites. I have been showing at my county fair as well as open shows too. When people say they are going to show in a 4-H fair and need show quality birds thats not nessarily true. The first year or two is about the experience and learning about your birds. I myself have started with hatchery birds, then ok birds, then pretty good birds and now I have some great blood in my flock. In my county and surrounding counties most kids have feed store cailber chickens and a couple have show quality. I would just make sure The participant is commited and will show again before investing in SQ birds.

Back
Top Bottom