is she show quaility

Quote:
Ah, thank you Chris. I always wondered about her comb and it did seem a bit odd. I don't plan on showing her, but thanks for the info.
smile.png

Quote:
Ah, thank you Chris. I always wondered about her comb and it did seem a bit odd. I don't plan on showing her, but thanks for the info.
smile.png

The single comb RIR should be nice and straight...
Chris

Our 4-H show has a separate class for Showmanship, where the handling, apparent care and knowledge on the exhibitor are judged. THe bird's confirmation does not matter here.

Our county has a very active poultry project, so you cannot hope to win without good confirmation in the breed classes. We do not have a hope this year, our first year, which our boy understands (we need to learn by making mistakes and then work to correct them for next year)

I know there is a quote out there that the worst thing that can happen to a young man is to win his first horse race. Where do you go after that, what goal do you have to work towards? Worse yet, if it was a fluke, how do you ever repeat it?

Have the boy show the calmest bird and learn all he can.

Good Luck!

Love my chickies!! :

4H is about showmanship and how he handles the bird. I would let him show the calmest bird, regardless of what it looks like. If you want to show conformation, then you need to start worrying about standards, etc. Now, most 4H shows HAVE conformation classes, but they are not required. Showmanship IS required.
Good luck!
smile.png

4H is not necessarily about showmanship. Things are run differently in different areas of the country. Here exhibition is as or more important than showmanship. In some parts of the country raising meatbirds is all that is offered.

4H is about learning, and about enjoying it as well. It is not fun to be severely at the bottom in quality. Losing to a bird who is only slightly better than yours is completely different than losing to a bird so superior that yours lost at the the first glance.

Not all breeds are expensive, but realize that raising chicks is a part of the game, and chicks from a more expensive breed will probably pay for the cost of a breeding pair in a season or less. (The same thing goes for less expensive breeds as well.)

Find out what is available in your area, and make your decisions based upon that.​

Quote:
I know what you mean... See it all the time at the shows..

Chris

The proper colour is almost black it is so dark. I don't have RIR (don't care for the breed), but we have a number of very good RIR breeders in the area, and I see their birds at the shows.

Quote:
roll.png
sorry i'm not a RIR expert....lol she is just very tame!

i am gonna hatch BLRW and show them. Don't really care if they aren't perfect since this is his first year.

To those who recommed him just learning the ropes, i agree!
we will worry about winning later~

Showmanship doesn't require quality in the bird, but rather tests the knowledge and handling of the bird. Knowing its faults is necessary, but it is okay to use even a mutt bird.

Quote:
I know what you mean... See it all the time at the shows..

Chris

The proper colour is almost black it is so dark. I don't have RIR (don't care for the breed), but we have a number of very good RIR breeders in the area, and I see their birds at the shows.

Yes there are still good breeders out there that breed to the standard and they should be a dark red. Around the color of a Bing Cherry... What I was say is that there are too many light birds at shows (more than there should be)..

Back
Top Bottom