is sneezing normal?

Quote:
If I could make a suggestion... They appear to be this years hatchlings, so maybe three and a half months old. Since Safeguard is very safe to use I don't think that one ml per bird would be too much. You have seven birds and have been feeding them for a while now so you should have an idea how much they eat by now. Here is what I would do in your situation, remove all feed in the evening. In the morning put seven ml of Safeguard in a pint jar and add water. In a small bucket put about a quart of feed and add the Safeguard water and stir it in. The mash should be the consistency of oatmeal, so add a little water or more crumbles as needed. Give no other feed until that mash is gone. Remove any dry feed every evening and repate for five days. After a day or two you will get the mix just right the first time. If you want to cover your bases, you can also add Corid at the same time, just add it to the Safeguard water mix before you add it to the crumbles. One ml per chick should be fairly close.

I will also add that respiratory infections is usually a secondary infection brought on by worms, cocci, or stress. Your birds are sniffling and sneezing now, they may be able to fend off the respiratory problem if you get a handle on the root cause.

Another thing you might consider is to call around to the local farm vets and get pricing on Fecal Float Exam. If you find a vet that will do it for a reasonable fee, take a fresh sampling from about a half dozen piles of poo in a baggie for the exam, have them look for eggs from roundworms, cocci, hetermonis, capiliary, etc. Be sure to mix the poo before you give it to them.

I can do that, thank you! All of you are awesome! Just one more question, i promise: what should my next course of action be if they don't stop sneezing?

Okay, i have to take back my last question promise. So like i said, i initially gave some food and water that had been dosed with 5ml of safeguard per gallon. I stopped this treatment on your suggestions, no medicine yesterday and this morning put 7ml in a pint of water with food. When i checked their pen, however, i noticed about 5 poops with dead worms in them. What does this mean? Should i continue this 5 day treatment or is the problem worse than i thought?

Some pictures of the worm poop:

Sorry the camera quality is bad.

Okay, i have to take back my last question promise. So like i said, i initially gave some food and water that had been dosed with 5ml of safeguard per gallon. I stopped this treatment on your suggestions, no medicine yesterday and this morning put 7ml in a pint of water with food. When i checked their pen, however, i noticed about 5 poops with dead worms in them. What does this mean? Should i continue this 5 day treatment or is the problem worse than i thought?
Continue, definetly!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom