Is something wrong with my chick?

MysticScorpio82

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Maine, USA
Perhaps I am being an overly paranoid chicky momma, but I am worried about one of my chicks. She is 3 or 4 days old. Heres the concern:

She seems to be laying around more than the others, her little tail keeps moving up and down, like she is either trying to poop or she is breathing hard (can't tell which). She is alert, but just doesn't want to run around like the others. My husband said she was moving and acting normal this morning when he got up, but when I got up she was like what I described above. She had poop stuck on her wing and her leg.

Here is what I have done so far:

I washed the poop off her and dried her the best I could. I made her drink some warm sugar water.

What else can I do?

Oh and the brooder is at 87-90 degrees, so I don't think she is too hot. I could be wrong.

Help please!! I have lost so many (due to shipping-it's on the random rambling from yesterday https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=202024 ) I don't want to lose this one too.

Last edited:
Get some Aviacharge or Polyvisol for the water. Nutrients are critical
this early on. Try handfeeding some yogurt.

She may just be a weakling or runt. Give her some tlc and she may pull through.

Sugar water is OK for a day or two for shipping stress but should not be overdone. And plain yogurt is better, but a spoonful of the strawberry would be OK for a day or two, if it does not have artificial sweetener in it. If it does, I am not sure at all whether chickens can tolerate it.

Quote:
Ok, it has real sugar in it. It is Stoneyfield brand (organic). How often should I give her yorgurt? Once? several times? Is there anything else I should be doing for this little one?

I just tried feeding the chick some yogurt. It was a no go. It acting like I was trying to poison it, lol. It is drinking reg water on it's own now and standing alittle before laying back down, which I guess is an improvment. Should I try scrambled eggs or keep attempting to give her yogurt?

Sometimes if you sprinkle the crumble on top of the yogurt, they'll be encouraged to eat it. Scrambled eggs are great, too.

Sometimes, you get a chick that fails to thrive and there isn't much that can be done. Sometimes, they are born with heart defects that show up like they are always breathing hard. Just keep doing supportive therapy and see if it gets better. Once a day with the yogurt is all you need.

Quote:
Thank you! I am going to go make some scrambled egg now. I really hope she makes it. I ordered 14 and I am down to 5. I would rather not lose her too
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Sorry your having such a hard time. Shipping can be stressful. I agree with mashed up boiled egg. It is full of protein and will help to boost her system. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom