Is something wrong with my rooster, or is he just molting?

STR33TL1GHTS

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 11, 2009
Hello Everyone,

i just joined the site and have a few pet chickens. I've noticed my rooster is losing feathers on the top of his head. Is he just molting or could something be wrong? No one is picking on him, and he seems to be acting pretty normal. Also, can anyone tell me what breed he is? Thank you for your help
big_smile.png

IMG_4631-1.jpg

IMG_4741.jpg

IMG_4750.jpg

See the pinfeathers on his head? Those are the new feathers coming in- so halfway through molting that area already. Chickens often molt in patches. I don't know his breed, but he IS handsome...

Quote:
thank you...i thought he was a red jungle fowl...im a biologist, but i dont know much about chickens...i live in a rural, agricultural area that is slowly becoming the suburbs...there are alot of ranches and farms around me, and they all have roosters only! i dont want to judge, but im assuming a lot of cockfighting goes on around here...i went to the flea market to find a rooster but they all looked sick, i told my dad i wanted a rooster and he came back with this guy...i asked him where he got it from and he told me from one of the ranches up the street...he said the people who owned the place get a lot of money for these roosters, but they laughed and gave my dad one for free since he didn't get what they were up to...my dad is in his mid sixties and getting up there in age...

Beautiful rooster!
smile.png
He is just molting. In the first pic he reminds me a bit of one of my roos, but he's a cross, a bit of everything. Not great with recognising most breeds, so I couldn't help you with identifying what he is, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom