Is something wrong?

Kelsbug7

Songster
5 Years
May 30, 2018
SW Florida
EA6029CD-4A4C-40B0-8B33-575D47C10477.jpeg
B4BEADD2-048A-430F-B733-AAAD7ACAC0EE.jpeg
Hey there. Some of my hens just started laying this week. I have 5 hens, but have only gotten 3 eggs/day max, so some still haven’t started laying. I’m not sure if this hen has started to lay or not, but I noticed it’s butt has some funny looking stuff in its feathers. I figured it’s just dried poop, but I’m not certain and am looking for some feedback.

Cutting with scissors is not painful and it makes quick work of it. Looks like some had actually dried onto her vent tissue. Rub some Vaseline on it especially if it’s raw and red.
It happens to mine from time to time especially if I give a rich in fat type of treat.
You said a lot of your hens look like this?

Cutting sounds easiest/best for them, so I will do that. Thank you. Glad it’s just poopy!

Cutting with scissors is not painful and it makes quick work of it. Looks like some had actually dried onto her vent tissue. Rub some Vaseline on it especially if it’s raw and red.
It happens to mine from time to time especially if I give a rich in fat type of treat.
You said a lot of your hens look like this?
No this is the only one that looks like this. I chased the rest down and inspected and they all have healthy butts :)

Back
Top Bottom