Is spirulina safe for ducklings?

Pipthechick

Hatching
Jun 9, 2022
My ducklings are due to hatch I’m a few days and I’m planning on giving them unmedicated chick starter for the first 2 weeks. I know they need more niacin and that’s often supplemented with brewers yeast. However, I was wondering if I could give spirulina instead as I’ve already got it at home and it contains a lot of niacin. Just want to check it’s safe for newborn ducklings?

My ducklings are due to hatch I’m a few days and I’m planning on giving them unmedicated chick starter for the first 2 weeks. I know they need more niacin and that’s often supplemented with brewers yeast. However, I was wondering if I could give spirulina instead as I’ve already got it at home and it contains a lot of niacin. Just want to check it’s safe for newborn ducklings?
Cursory review of the literature suggests the answer is yes - does your product have a guaranteed nutritional analysis, so you can dose correctly?

and have you considered just how much spirulina you have to offer to reach target?
1654784602244.png

Some math. The nutritional yeast at right is a serving size of 160g, while at left is 100g spirulina (containing just 1.4mg of B3!). 290% of RDA, devided by 160g serving size, multiple by the 100g serving size of the spirulina is 181.25% of the RDA for a 2000 calorie diet. The new FDA recommend is 16mg for a 2,000 calorie diet, so 16 * 181.25% = 29mg niacin (20x as much in the spirulina) in the same 100g serving.

Obviously, your labels will differ, and I don't know what niacin target you are seeking for your ducklings, but based on the first label I grabbed of the internet, spirulina just doesn't provide that much extra niacin.

Back
Top Bottom