Is straw a no-no?

Quote:
I live in the "grass seed capital of the world", so I guess it's local and cheap.

I've always used pine shavings inside the coop, and they do seem to work really well. During the summer when I would cut the grass, I'd throw it into the run - which they seemed to love. My grass doesn't grow quickly enough to keep the run covered, so I started adding timothy hay (thinking it might be ok for them to eat).

Can I get away with using straw in the run ? It's more for scratching around in and giving the poo something upon which to cling, and straw's much cheaper than hay. Then again, I'm not sure they're bright enough not to eat it (my roo has a thing for paint chips
hmm.png
)

Quote:
A bale of straw here in WA state is easily over $10. Heck I bought a bale of alfalfa for my horses lastnight (to get me through to my hay delivery) paid $19.50, I about fell over!

a 50 lb bale of either hay or straw is about 2.oo.. I'll bet that guy who sells it for over $10.oo is just sitting and waiting for you to come again..LOL If you are buying

bales from the pet store then I can believe those prices.. find a friendly farmer.. we trade a dozen eggs for a 50 lb bale of good alfalfa hay.. I do not like straw and especially hay as bedding. when it comes to

cleaning out the coop, it is like trying to shovel a mattress..chopped straw is OK.
I have my own wood planer so I have plenty of shavings.. it is OK for chickens to eat straw and hay.. I have never had any trouble with impacted crops..

On the other hand I have had baby chicks load up on wood shavings and die.. I just throw a few hand fulls of cracked corn into the shavings and that catches their eye and they leave the shavings alone..

......jiminwisc.......

The high price of straw in certain areas is not unusual. Here in Maine a bale of straw runs about 8.50 at Paris Farmer's Union.

Not everyone lives in areas that produce a lot of grain crops and has tons of straw to dispose of locally. We will never see straw at 2 bucks a bale.

Wayne

Cost is the main issue, then absorbency. Straw (hay) bales here are $11 ea and not really as absorbent as shavings.

Shavings are $5/ bag here and absorb like a sponge. I hear fumes are not safe???
sad.png

I heard there are more lice in some straw than hay, is that true??? That might be an issue, too!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom