Is the a male or hen quail

I'm not sure either....does it crow? I'm leaning towards male, though!
I just notice right now it tried to mate with my hen but I always taught it was a hen since my male quail would always trie to mate with it everyday
Yes it crows but it crow is different from the wry neck one. I believe someone told me that hen crow as well but slightly different it only started about this month and I got this quail in June a guy sold me 2 telling me they were hen but one kept crowing so I returned it and got a new one then the new one started crowing and I was about to return it but it flew away to the forest my guess is he did not trim its wing. both tried to mate with my hen right away and finally this one when I got it did not crow and my quail would alway try to mate with it when there was a hen around and never mate with the hen only this one
Video is the one that I returned and believed was male

Yes it crows but it crow is different from the wry neck one. I believe someone told me that hen crow as well but slightly different it only started about this month and I got this quail in June a guy sold me 2 telling me they were hen but one kept crowing so I returned it and got a new one then the new one started crowing and I was about to return it but it flew away to the forest my guess is he did not trim its wing. both tried to mate with my hen right away and finally this one when I got it did not crow and my quail would alway try to mate with it when there was a hen around and never mate with the hen only this one
That is a male crow.

That's a male.

Whoever told you that hens crow was... wrong. I've never heard a hen crow.

The mounting isn't a proper sign of gender, I have a female that humps other birds (and mini squishmallows) to assert dominance. She would hump a male if she had the chance.

The mounting isn't a proper sign of gender, I have a female that humps other birds (and mini squishmallows) to assert dominance. She would hump a male if she had the chance.
I also had a female quail that did a half crow when she was younger, she doesn't do it any more.
She did the end bit, but not the other sound at the start. It definitely wasn't the scream they do when they are scared.

That is a male crow.
I got a question most people are saying that it’s a male is there something I should do about it since right it not aggressive to the other male but not sure about later on when it get older because I heard males can’t be together.

Attachments

• IMG_1953.jpeg
    IMG_1953.jpeg
    714.1 KB · Views: 6
I got a question most people are saying that it’s a male is there something I should do about it since right it not aggressive to the other male but not sure about later on when it get older because I heard males can’t be together.
How many quail total do you have?
Are you keeping them all together in this bird cage?

It depends on how many you have and how much room they have.

Back
Top Bottom